Log Splitter Motor????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miles220

Nov 25, 2009
Southern Il
Well i am looking into building a log splitter fairly cheap. i have an 18hp briggs electric start from an old mower and was wondering what everyones thoughts were on using such a motor for log splitter? was going to use a 16gpm 2-stage pump. the cylinder i have was taken off of a piece of heavy equipment, like a pan or 'scraper'.
thanks for your thoughts.

Hi miles220 and welcome to the forum!
The 18 hp motor will run a 16gpm pump but it will also run a 22gpm pump at a better fuel economy. The 22gmp pump is about 2x the price of the 16gpm though and the only economic recovery you will see for the added expense is in faster cycle times. Standard 2 stage pumps (11-16gpm) run their rated highest volume level in the 650 +/- psi range. At the higher rated psi for second stage (2100 psi) they run a low volume somewhere around 2.9 to 3.5 gpm. The maximum tonnage from your spitter is based on the size of the ram in your cylinder and the actual high pressure capacity of your pump and the ability of the motor to deliver that high pressure in the pump. A big headache in delivering that much pressure is found in low volume slow cycle times. Most wood is split at the lower pressure rating of the pump and that is where the fastest cycle time is found. Here is a link for some pumps,

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_6970_96+1500

If the cylinder you have has a large ram you will get plenty of power but you will also get a slower cycle time so the higer volume pump would be the best investment in man hours vs work accomplished. The 22gpm pump will give a 37.5% faster volume delivery/cycle time over the 16gpm pump (that equals 3 hours out of an 8 hour day). The 16gmp pump only requires a minimum 10hp motor. You have 8hp extra eating gas and not giving much for it. But you have what you have and it will work well if built right. The following link shows an elctric splitter that is fantastic and might give you some design ideas. Like a multiple split wedge or push ram vs a split ram etc. Have fun on your project! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSCBPj3jTMA

Hi Miles, I am from southern Illinois also, near Mt. Vernon. I thought about building a spliter several years ago but when I put the pencil to paper it was cheaper to buy one already manufactured. You have the engine and cylinder but there is alot more you will have to buy at TSC or Rural King to make it work and that is not counting your time to build it. Just my .02 on the subject, if you really want to build one, go for it!
Steve

hi miles,

i say do it man! sometimes it doesnt matter if will cost the same to go buy a factory made,but the "wow, i built that" feeling that you get. i love to build things, so i opt to do that when and where i can.just post your build as you go along , so others may see what you did,or how you did it.

mike

18 horses is more than you need for 16 GPM and will burn way more fuel than necessary.

LLigetfa said:
18 horses is more than you need for 16 GPM and will burn way more fuel than necessary.

I agree! With that motor i would go with a big pump say 50 gal. U will burn gas but if the wedge is mounted on the end the wood will fly through
the air and stack its self :bug:

EKLawton said:
LLigetfa said:

I agree! With that motor i would go with a big pump say 50 gal. U will burn gas but if the wedge is mounted on the end the wood will fly through
the air and stack its self :bug:
LOL

Ja, put an elevation adjuster on one end of the beam so you can get the right trajectory.

Status
Not open for further replies.