Log splitter will only split at low engine RPM

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Fluid change requirement is mostly dep on moisture contamination. Keep hydro fluid dry, and it can go for years.

Yeah - hydro juice doesn’t really “wear out”. Contamination (metal, water, etc.) is the enemy of hydro juice.

Well my friends, this thing is again operational! The final pieces of the puzzle have arrived and were installed a couple days ago.

Installed the filter head and filter, but ended up having a minor leak from one of the swivels of the old low pressure return hose that I was trying to re-use. Went to the Parker store and had a new hose made up in the proper 3/4" size. That little hose was super expensive. I would like to find some nicer looking cable ties, but zip ties keep them together for now.

IMG_1725.JPG

IMG_1724.JPG

Did a little testing with some "safe/easy" wood rounds and couldn't even get any amount of pressure to register on the gauge. Had to step up to some crotchy pieces to make it notice, and even still it was negligible (1000 psi?). Cracked those like nothing, and actually ended up cracking one of the Grade 8 bolts holding the pusher plate down. The pusher plate is the next thing needing to be re-engineered. It works for now but is just not very heavy-duty.

IMG_1726.JPG

Replaced all the bolts and then was able to do this... Sheared right through a crotch, with almost no effort at all. Looked like about 1500 psi on the gauge. Engine barely flinched, and is only running slightly above idle (1500 RPM maybe?).

IMG_1723.JPG

All in all, great success. I hope to get a video posted in the next few days. Still have lots of wood to split for this heating season.