Log splitter with 4way split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Meauran said:
I'm not seeing a lot of love for my splitter. Swisher. 12.5HP. 34 tons. 2 speed pump. Plenty fast, sorry, I don't know exactly how fast. I just modified a Northern Tools four way splitter to work on it. WOW! is all I can say. I run the engine just off idle and haven't found anything that it can't handle.

What is the spec on the piston diameter, and the pump gpm? - if it's a 5" cylinder, they're lying to you, as at the standard 3,000psi, a 5" is good for about 29.4 tons MAXIMUM... Since most splitters only run at about 2500psi, you're really looking at about 27 tons.

Ditto on the pump - the standard pumps used on splitters are all two-speed, but have a wide range of gpm ratings - this is the number that, in combination with the piston size, determines your cycle time... Standard pump on a 30 ton / 5" piston machine is 16gpm, and gives about a 15 second cycle time. Requires an 8hp motor to run, more than that is a waste of power... However w/ a 12.5hp motor, you MIGHT have a 22gpm pump, which would give a much faster cycle, probably down in the 10 second range.

Gooserider

From Swisher's website.

# 5" x 24" cylinder
# 16 gallon-per-minute pump for minimum cycle time and faster splitting

It doesn't specifically call out the cycle time. But I do believe that you are correct about the splitting force. By my calculation, it would require just under 3500 psi in order to get all the way to 34 tons. Probably not a pressure that most homeowner grade machines could reliably operate at for an extended period.

I put the Northern Tools 8" 4 way wedge on it and that seems to have no problem chunking up the oak, maple and birch that I've got.

Meauran said:
From Swisher's website.

# 5" x 24" cylinder
# 16 gallon-per-minute pump for minimum cycle time and faster splitting

It doesn't specifically call out the cycle time. But I do believe that you are correct about the splitting force. By my calculation, it would require just under 3500 psi in order to get all the way to 34 tons. Probably not a pressure that most homeowner grade machines could reliably operate at for an extended period.

I put the Northern Tools 8" 4 way wedge on it and that seems to have no problem chunking up the oak, maple and birch that I've got.

Same basic specs as my Harbor Freight unit, probably similar performance... Nothing at all wrong with that, but nothing special to get romantic about either... About the only thing I've seen talked about as special about Swishers is that at least some of their units have a clutch between the engine and pump, making it easier to start the engine when it's really cold out... (Far as I'm concerned if it's cold enough to be a problem, I'll be staying indoors where I can burn some of that firewood that I split when the weather was decent... :coolsmirk: )

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.