Log splitters - log length?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SEP555

Oct 2, 2008
Looking at some log splitters say max length is 60cm. If I've got a log that is too long to fit it in, can i hold it sideways to split the log in two smaller parts so it can be put in its proper place to be split?

My splittah is a 2 position and splits 25" logs. I put it in the vertical position and put in 40" logs sideways and it pops them right open (for pine and red oak- straight grained, easy splitting wood). For logs that don't- I run it through the log and keep the piston in that position while I whack the log with the maul. Easy peezy Portuguesee

I would have a hard time with the splitter in the horizontal position, though I find that the day goes by easier when I'm in the horizontal position.

Adios Pantalones said:
My splittah is a 2 position and splits 25" logs. I put it in the vertical position and put in 40" logs sideways and it pops them right open (for pine and red oak- straight grained, easy splitting wood). For logs that don't- I run it through the log and keep the piston in that position while I whack the log with the maul. Easy peezy Portuguesee

I would have a hard time with the splitter in the horizontal position, though I find that the day goes by easier when I'm in the horizontal position.

AP-your splitting with the grain.

I think the OP wants to use the splitter to "cut" too long of logs into shorter lengths. I have done it, but it was just to test the welds when I was building mine. I sure as heck would NOT recommend it. The 2 pieces can shoot out like being shot from a cannon (at least white oak does), and most splitters will not have the power to do this.

Adios Pantalones said:
Oh- gotcha. see the problem is that I don't read before I start blabbing :)

I think your problem is that you don't read before........oh, never mind. ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.