Logging

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babalu87

Hearth Supporter
Nov 23, 2005
middleborough, ma.
History channel 7PM (NOW) EST

babalu87 said:

There is a wonderful film on PBS in New York
that covers the boom times of the Adirondack
and the first chain saws and dozers.

It is made from the home movies of the Chaplin for the logging camps
of the 30's and 40's I believe it is called Sky Pilot

interesting show. its neat how the computer scans the log and figures out the best yield

Cool show - thanks for the tip! I could hear the Dolmar feathers ruffling when they pronounced Stihl as the inventor of the chainsaw...

homefire said:
babalu87 said:

That was the Rev. Frank Reed from Old Forge, NY. He started the magazine that I edit, back in 1950. He was known as the "Lumberjack Sky Pilot" and authored a book by the same name. He traveled around to the lumbercamps around the Northeast laying the good word on the workers. Eventually, he started publishing a newsletter called "Lumbercamp News," later to become "The Northeastern Logger" and today known as "The Northern Logger." Today we're a regional trade pub. No more "Lumberjack's Prayer." No more "Lumber Camp Recipe of the Month." But we still publish a lot of good information relating to modern logging and sawmilling.

No more “Lumber Camp Recipe of the Month.”

Awwwwwwwwwwe :(

That was an hour of TV well spent.

Agreed. We alreayd had it on over here when we saw the post though! I knew one of you guys would start a thread about i!

Eric Johnson said:
homefire said:
babalu87 said:

That was the Rev. Frank Reed from Old Forge, NY. He started the magazine that I edit, back in 1950. He was known as the "Lumberjack Sky Pilot" and authored a book by the same name. He traveled around to the lumbercamps around the Northeast laying the good word on the workers. Eventually, he started publishing a newsletter called "Lumbercamp News," later to become "The Northeastern Logger" and today known as "The Northern Logger." Today we're a regional trade pub. No more "Lumberjack's Prayer." No more "Lumber Camp Recipe of the Month." But we still publish a lot of good information relating to modern logging and sawmilling.

Damn.(second today). What a diverse and knowledgeable group we have. Do you have the paper online, or maybe a link to see the paper? There's a tavern near Missoula, Montana where you can have a beer, eat a hot wing and chat with an old timer who logged the tall trees. Took a lot of telephone poles and utility poles from that area, besides the run of the mill lumbering.

Status
Not open for further replies.