Logic check: Liner installation from bottom to top...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CBL

Apr 16, 2013
MA
About to gear up to line my chimney and do a pellet insert... I'm not exactly great on heights but I have a friend who will be operating the top end of the flue while I work the bottom (he's great working on roofs). Just trying to think about the easiest way of doing this... and potentially save money on not having to rent a bucket lift. This a 2 story house with a 25' tall chimney

Instead of him dragging up a 4" diameter coiled up linear (wrapped with insulation) to the roof and working it downward, I was thinking he would be able to drop a rope down the flue and I would be able to attach it to the linear from the bottom (with a coned end cap) and he would be able to pull it up from the top while I feed the linear from the bottom of the fireplace.

The linear is 4" dia + another 1" wrapped around it with insulation (so a little over 5" total dia) and my flue is 8 x 13, it wouldn't be a tight fit by any means....

Would it be logical to think that this may work? Or would this just be a hassle at the end of the day?

Sure it will work. I shoved a double wall six inch liner from the bottom up by myself. In a 7/11 ID flue. When I installed the two 5.5" liners they slid down like they were greased. In Europe they winch a lot of them from bottom up.

Go for it.

PS: It is a liner, not a linear. ;lol

PS: It is a liner, not a linear. ;lol

Hey I had it right in my subject line....LOL, it was the autocorrect talking.

Thanks for the insight, I think I'll go for it!

It'll work just fine.

After you get the liner in we will kick you over to the Pellet Forum. ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.