Long Island Firewood / Brookhaven Township

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks flatbed. I was not going to look up CL my self but what you said is just what i was looking for. I honestly dont know what it would sell for around here? I think its in the $65-100 range for an 8ft bed loaded to the rails of oak so i guess ours is in the $200 range for a cord? Again i dont look and dont buy firewood.

fisrt off the problem with the internet is that if you dont use smilies you dont know a persons emotion. Im sorry if i sounded like i was attacking you, im not. I just ask what i feel and say things most shy away from, thats my personality. I read this thread interested in what you guys pay for wood up there. I spen 5 mins reading this and dont even see a price so i felt cheated :). I seriously am curious. I cut my own wood so for $100 cord i dont think i would buy wood at my age.

The whole point is price?

Im not asking you to give your super secret negotiated price, but what is the price they first tell you when you call, whats their add price? Or help out someone like you said, tell us your price then if a person really wants wood they can say well i know this person who bought from you last month got it fro $x in East long island or something. Even if they dont want to match the price for that person, all they have to say was well that was last months or last weeks price, i had to go up for ...... reason.

I've bought wood advertised at $100 a cord (sopping wet when I was desperate, hence my never be woodless again tag). I've gotten semi decent wood for $100 a cord (one of the guys mentioned), but it's odd, weird sizes, some need to be resplit, cut in half, etc (Dom will vouch for this guy), and he charges a delivery fee at this price, unless you buy 6 loads, depending upon area, the price of gas..yadda yadda yadda. Another is selling "uglies" for $100 or so a load (almost a cord, pretty damned close), he also sells "picture perfect" cords for $200, more depending upon area.

Cords out in the "Hamptons" can run $250 - $300+. depends an who you are I guess (is betting Alec Baldwin, Jimmy Buffet, & Paul McCartney pay a damned hefty price, but having their account wold be a pretty damned good deal !.)

Craigs list varies... oops, and thee's another local guy who has firewood & a phone number, who saved my butt during the winter from hell. He apologized to me for bringing firewood that was to dry, in February, for $150 a cord, when we were stopping at 7 - 11 to pick up a few bags to heat the house
free-random-smileys-440.gif

To many variables, better to just give phone #'s and names and let people work it our for them selves
free-random-smileys-960.gif

Posted this in another thread but these are representative Long Island Firewood prices near the Nassau/Suffolk border...

firewood.gif

"Seasoned" is debatable, mix of softwoods and hardwoods, and if you are more that a couple of miles from their yard they tack on a delivery charge.

Last year, during the season, you could pick up a load of 220 splits for $129. 220 splits is about a face cord (8' x 4' x 18"). The wood in their yard is in large piles. It is easier to count 220 splits than stack a face cord then load it.

KaptJaq

Posted this in another thread but these are representative Long Island Firewood prices near the Nassau/Suffolk border...

View attachment 71745

"Seasoned" is debatable, mix of softwoods and hardwoods, and if you are more that a couple of miles from their yard they tack on a delivery charge.

Last year, during the season, you could pick up a load of 220 splits for $129. 220 splits is about a face cord (8' x 4' x 18"). The wood in their yard is in large piles. It is easier to count 220 splits than stack a face cord then load it.

KaptJaq

Where are they?

Where are they?

He is in Dix Hills, Huntington township. At least he delivers what he advertises.

I read a lot of the Craigslist ADs and have a hard time believing them. One guy tonight will deliver a "full" cord for $120 (2 pallets) or a "Half cord" stacked on a pallet for $65. For a half cord to fit on a pallet, assume a standard 48" x 40" pallet, it would have to be stacked 6 feet high.

KaptJaq.

I've bought wood advertised at $100 a cord (sopping wet when I was desperate, hence my never be woodless again tag).

I'm with ya on that sister. Last year was my first time ever depending on wood to heat my house. When I pulled the trigger and bought the wood boiler I knew I would need to get a head start so I started calling around. Found all types of prices and people. So prices high, some low, some people nice, some people jerks. Any way I found this really "nice" guy he was very polite and respectful he was very knowledgeable and professional. I wanted 24" long splits and he said no problem. $200 a full cord delivered and stacked. WEEELLLL.... when I got home he had almost all of it stacked and he was correct it was 24" and 2 full cord, BUUUUUTTTT it was soaking wet, I mean I think this stuff was cut and split the same day. That was the beginning of my journey find free (or relatively free) logs so I can cut split and stack my own and NEVER be woodless again!!!

These guys I have access to are reasonable, true to their word, and pretty up front.

All in all, a good deal.

Dixie will these guys deliver out to Sag Harbor area? My in laws are looking like your profile pic.

in ur area $100cord even for green sounds cheap? There must be 4-8 hours of work plus gas in a cord of wood depending upon several things! Even anything under $200 seems like a deal if your in an area or situation where you cant get all u want like me.

Reactions: gregbesia
Dixie will these guys deliver out to Sag Harbor area? My in laws are looking like your profile pic.

Sending off a PM.

Hey there. I have my first wood insert on order and will be looking into buying my first supply of wood. My local nursery told me $200/cord.
Drive to brooklyn, they got lots after yesterday............................................

in ur area $100cord even for green sounds cheap? There must be 4-8 hours of work plus gas in a cord of wood depending upon several things! Even anything under $200 seems like a deal if your in an area or situation where you cant get all u want like me.

When I first started burning wood you couldn't touch a cord of wood (sopping wet no doubt) for under $175, and it was always over $200 in the winter. Now you can find a number of dealers on Craig's List for less than $150/cord. For me, if I can get wood for less than $120/cord then it's worth it. The amount of time it takes for me to find a score, pick it up, drop it off at my house, split it- I still scrounge, but having the ability to buy wood for a reasonable price certainly takes the pressure off. Of course the trick is to buy next years wood this year. The past two years I've gotten wood for $100/cord.

Fred, that'd be the number I gave you in my PM. I got this guy from Dom :)

The East End is fantastic. I take the ferry out of there -- Orient Point -- a few times a year. Sadly it is not commutable to NYC where I work. But it's a beautiful place to live.

dafattkidd, Can you let me know who you use? Since I am so new to this I am hoping I can tell the difference between seasoned and not. I would love to find a reputable dealer.

The guys name is John. He's a good guy and sends honest cords. The last 2 cords I got from him were pretty dry (not quite burnable but better than expected). The wood is all hardwood but half or so are shorter than I like. But at his prices I take it with no complaints. Tell him you got the number from Dominick in Sound Beach and Eileen in Manorville. He knows both of us.

I use a guy in Glen Cove who has always delivered genuinely seasoned c/s/d wood, if any of you are near there.

Cool. You're most welcome.

His firewood looks like this. Back right & right front.
wood 2012 3 murph.jpg

Hi All -

New to home ownership, new to fireplaces, new to this forum, and looking for reputable sources of firewood in Suffolk County. Any names you can drop would be helpful. I think I have this PM thing figured out so please reach out if you get a moment. Thanks in advance!

Dixie's guy cancelled out on me he said it would be out of his delivery range. I guess he likes to stay from the smithaven mall to the east. I just ordered from a guy in Port Jefferson. Wood was OK but I think he shorted me on the amount. I want to try another guy that my tree guy recommended.

West of the mall is a haul from Manorville, sorry it didn't work out for you, Freddy.

Gurthang, I responded to your PM, but if your location is like Freddy's, I can't help you.

I'm changing the title of this (or getting a MOD to do it) to reflect the area more accurately. .

My deepest apologies if any one got misled from this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.