Long term Ryobi test....shes gonna take a beating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michael

Nov 19, 2005
After much debate about whether to rent a splitter for a day (as we've did last two years) or to purchase one, my wife and I decided to take the cheap route and purchase a Ryobi 4 ton electric splitter. The $1000 gas splitter from T.S.C. was what I really wanted, but unfortunately the funds don't allow for it this year. So I'm stuck with a "greenie splitter" right now.

I'll have to admit I have my doubts about this thing, but I'm willing to give it a chance....maybe a 30 day chance, which is how long I have to take it back to Home Depot. Elk seems to like 'em, so what the hell.

It's going to get a serious workout tomorrow with a truckload of 14"-18" diameter pieces cut 18" to 20" long. This stuff is tough ass wood. I'm talking HAIRY KNARLY here! I'm not even sure what it is, but one of my buddies has a whole yard full of it. He had 6 mature trees cut this spring and is giving me the wood. I thought it was Black Walnut (because of bark and wood coloration), but it's way too tough for Walnut. I have no leaves to identify it by as it was limbed out in March. Anyway, I'll have a load of some bigger stuff later this week with 20"-28" diameter logs we have yet to cut.

The little "greenie splitter" has its work cut out for it. I'll update after testing.

Should be interesting, keep us posted. Do you have any pictures of the wood?

First off, no pics. My digital camera is fubarred. I might be able to borrow one, or get mine fixed some time soon. I'll get some pics of this wood one way or another.

I used my Ryobi for the first time a few days ago and so far so good. It assembled easily (only a pin and shaft to hold the wheels on) and the learning curve was very short. Within a few minutes I was splitting that precious natural resource we call fuel.

Some observations from the first day:

*The ram does not travel far enough for the thicker stuff to fully split it. I might have to modify it with a cut block of 2x4.

*The unit sits a little too low. I believe it's made to sit on a table, but this makes it troublesome for the real heavy pieces.

*I like to split vertically. This unit only splits horizontally.

*Power is okay. Not mind boggling, testosterone spitting power, but it will split a 16" log 18"-20" long.

*I hate the 2 controls (button and lever). Why couldn't they have a single lever? It makes it so much easier to reposition or hold a log with one hand while activating the ram.

*As mentioned above, it will split bigger logs than advertised on the box.

*It was much quieter than a gas splitter. I think the neighbors will appreciate this feature.

*The unit seems to be a sturdy affair, and as a bonus, has a two year warranty.

So far, I like the unit quite a bit if price is considered. I really thought I would be making a trip back to Home Depot that first day. I was wrong. With a simple 2x4 modification, she might be a keeper. Stay tuned, big stuff cometh....LOL.

Sound like it does the job for ya. Split away!

The button/lever arrangement is probably a safety feature. Save you from splitting your hand.

Couple of suggestions split the perimeters first working to the inside on larger pieces.. I too used a spacer 4/4 block on shorter lengths. Remember 30 day money back at Home cheapo. Flat out it is the best 4 ton splitter. You forgot to mention how fast it cycles.
the wheels are too small and I used milk crates and small planks to roll larger rounds ant to give the platform a larger working surface. for me it would be a keeper if I had not tried the 6 ton or own a 16 ton splitter

Status
Not open for further replies.