Long time caller, first time listener.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

UAmember

Aug 28, 2017
Northwest IL
I've been lurking for 8 months or so, finally thought I would check in. I am working on my 3 year plan, I just cut 3 ash bore kills at my brother's house. While I whittle away at the ash with my Fiskars and my saw chains get sharpened I figured I better have a way to burn all this wood. I initially decided on a Blaze King Ashford 30, but my wallet told me I should look at a Englander 30 NCH. Any good place to get flue pipe? I lost excitement when I realized I will have as much money invested in flue pipe

A NC30 is a proven work horse, its a little utility looking but the large viewing glass makes up for it, I think you will be more than happy with your choice when the first real cold out break occurs. Do you self a favor, buy a $30.00 moisture meter to test your beetle kill ash, always test on a fresh split face, sticking the probes with the grain. These stoves love wood that's between 15 & 20% Also the NC30 functions best with a chimney height of more than 15ft, anything less you may have smoke spillage when you open the door for loading or adjustments.

Thanks for the insight. I am in a 2 story house, 9' first floor, 8' second floor, and a 9/12 roof. My double wall chimney should be roughly 16-18'

I'll give a plug for the 30. I have one that is a good stove. Leave the door cracked an inch or two for the first 10-15 minutes when you fire it up to get it going good and burn dry wood. Last year was my first year with it, and I used it a few days a week.