Longest burn times for ~$1000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cj3waker

Nov 15, 2017
Nv
I've been reading for a few weeks, and even read the wiki about posting this exact topic

I grew up on wood heat, we had I think was an old earth stove with a crappy damper. It cooked us out and burn times sucked, but I got used to making a fire before school and after school, and feeding the fire every few hours. I thought that's just how wood stoves worked.

Tore out the old wood stove when we moved in and would like to replace it. Burn times are my number one concern. We have a BK princess at work, which has made me a kool aid drinker, but I'd prefer not to spend $2500+

Im looking for considerations on the stove with the longest burn times for around a grand. Cat preferred but I don't know of any models in this price range.

1700 Sq foot home
About 1000ft open living space with a ranch style hallway and bedrooms in back
Stove in corner of living space sharing wall with one of the first hallway bedrooms and exterior wall
Plumbed for 6" pipe
Gardnerville NV - lows rarely get below 0, usually 20-30, strong winds

Huge plus if I can order it online, both a Lowes and home Depot in my area for pickup or something from an etailer like woodstoveroverstock

Thanks guys

Reactions: Mr.B
I dont have any specific stoves to offer in your price range, but id suggest you start gatgering wood to allow it to dry. Dry wood makes all the difference in newer stoves.

If you're looking at cat stoves, in addition to Blaze King, there are also Woodstocks and Buck Stoves. I think the cheapest Woodstock is the Ideal Steel, but that comes in at $1,900. I have no idea what Buck models are going for.

Longer burn times are great but how long do you actually NEED ? For me i need something that goes about 9 hrs, that covers me while im sleeping and away at work each day and still keeps the house toasty warm between reloads. I dont mind one bit fiddling with the stove when im home, i rather enjoy it. If you can't get a cat stove under your $1000 price then you're going to have to look at a conventional stove. Again depending on the burn time you NEED i'd think an NC30 would do you. I love my Drolet Austral and those can be had for about $800.

Nothing will come close to bk burn times. Your budget will only get you a noncat. Actually only a hardware store noncat.

You’re in nc30 land and don’t forget about hearth and chimney costs.

You can pellet stoves for less money that will burn for days.

This doesn't meet your criteria of ordering online, but have you considered buying a used stove? I ended up not being able to find the insert I wanted on Craigslist, but I did quite a few good deals on gently used high quality stoves.

Burn times around 10hrs are what I really want.
Would like to load in the morning, when I get home, and again before bed.
Drolet HT2000 seems like a great stove, but it is on the physically large end for what I'm after. If you guys had to pick between the Drolet HT2000, Legende II, and TNC-30 what would you do?

Good 6" pipe is already plumbed, just need an adjustable piece to tie into the stove

ETA: I've looked extensively on craigslist. There is a KEJ-1001 that I would love to buy, but don't want to replumb for 8" pipe. Nothing else really catches my eye. There is a guy selling some "home refurbed" (paint and new brick I think) cat stoves, an older quadra fire and earth stove. I think it's wise to steer clear of those?

Burn times around 10hrs are what I really want.
Would like to load in the morning, when I get home, and again before bed.
Drolet HT2000 seems like a great stove, but it is on the physically large end for what I'm after. If you guys had to pick between the Drolet HT2000, Legende II, and TNC-30 what would you do?

Good 6" pipe is already plumbed, just need an adjustable piece to tie into the stove

ETA: I've looked extensively on craigslist. There is a KEJ-1001 that I would love to buy, but don't want to replumb for 8" pipe. Nothing else really catches my eye. There is a guy selling some "home refurbed" (paint and new brick I think) cat stoves, an older quadra fire and earth stove. I think it's wise to steer clear of those?

1700 SF of home, especially if well insulated with normal ceiling height, is pretty small for a NC30. Englander also makes some smaller stoves that I would look at too.

I've bought Englander products online at https://amfmenergy.com/

Loading three times a day (just 8 hour cycle) should be possible with good wood and just about any decent sized (over 2 CF) stove. Sometimes you may need to use a little kindling and a squirt from a torch.

Reactions: savageactor7
A Craigs list stove can be had at that price, but as a rule of thumb good stoves are pricey.

I was in your precise situation a while back and finally determined that a cat stove was not to be. I got an Englander NC30 and have been very pleased. Burn times? I will still have a good bed of coals after 10 hours.

Reactions: woodchiprookie
I think you'll be happy with that purchase once you get the hang of it. One thing i noticed with my stove is i need a nice insulating bed of ash on the bottom if i want good coals 9 hrs later.

Reactions: woodchiprookie