Look what fell into my yard today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTburning

Nov 9, 2008
Western CT
I woke up with a mild hangover on Monday morning and decided to grill up some eggs on the deck. I'm drinking my coffee and and I notice that something is different with the yard. Umm, what could it be? Oh yeah, its the huge white oak lying sideways across the edge of my lawn and the power lines underneath it. There is a right of way to an abandoned house behind me on the other side of the hill. The power lines are ugly and hang very close to the ground. The tree that fell is 24-26" at the base and is very healthy besides the rot where it fell. The trees on the hill all grow up about 75ft and then curve down hill towards the afternoon sun. As it fell, this tree took the top off another oak that is 24" or so at the base. Two for the price of one. I am going to get up early tomm and drop that tree as well! I hope to have at least 2.5 cords of firewood.

I called the power company this morning. I am positve that the lines aren't live as my neighboor's cats were chasing birds there all morning. I'm sure I would have seen sparks because the wires are touching the ground. Nothing is severed though as there is a steel cable connecting everything. I made sure to ask if I would be charged anything and she said "no". Maybe someone else here has experience with a right of way. I don't care about the telephone poles but the wires are unsightly and of no use. What legal right do I have to ask them to take them down? They come to within 8' of the ground so I know they can't be legal. It is way up on the top of my hill but if I'm curious enough to go up there, kids are going to go up there.

The lady couldn't answer too many of my questions but said she would write down the notes and somebody would take a look at it soon. I made sure to include that I wanted the wood and to have the cables/wires removed if possible. We'll see how it goes. I hate that the previous owners sold the right of way for peanut's I'm sure. I have nice flat piece of land over there and could expand the yard if it weren't for those wires. Anyway, thanks and I'll post what happens in a couple of days.

Attachments

• PICT0002.jpg
    PICT0002.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 752
Maybe you will get lucky and the power company will cut those trees up for you since they fell on their power lines. Just make doubly sure before you cut they aren't live.

Wait until they get there. No question about that. If it is on the lines they will cut it up. Every lineman I have ever met and most of the right of way supervisors have been great folks. Just don't trample on their turf before they get there.

BB - Whose driveway is 800 feet of power line right of way lined with trees on both sides.

I would definitely wait for the power lines to be out of there. From what I know about power lines (which admittedly isn't much), birds, squirrels and small rodents can run on power lines with no problem due to the insulation. However, coming in contact with a live wire is really not something I want you to risk. There are enough dangers surrounding using chain saws and falling trees to go around, power lines aren't something I'd like to add to the equation. Besides, its always easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask permission- my girlfriend would vouch for that.
Have the power company get the lines out of there and then take all the wood you can grab. If anyone says anything after that tell them they're more than welcome to come take it off your property. They wouldn't bother... It's yours brother, just play it safe.

Another pic. Everything you guys said makes sense and we're on the same page. It killed me not to grab the saw yesterday and to start chopping it up. It's been 6 months since I smelled half burnt two stroke in the morning. I still may down the other tree when the lines are on the ground. For some legal reason they may want to keep the lines up if the house is ever reinhabitated or they may want to reuse the copper, who knows. I can safely drop the tree and the top will land where the wires are on the ground. If I wait and it is fixed it is deju vu with another 2ft wide oak hitting the wires. As I write I'm thinking I'm going to wait but we'll see what the morning brings. I just wish I could talk to the guy and see what he advised but I have to work. Stupid job gets in the way of everythig fun!

Attachments

• PICT0001.jpg
    PICT0001.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 648
Here is one of the actual tree

Attachments

• PICT0002.jpg
    PICT0002.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 645
Just call the power company from work and ask for the right of way supervisor.

As soon as those lines are out of there.... bam- that's your tree as far as most anyone is concerned.
IF they don't show up tomorrow, just keep calling and pestering them. 10 free phone calls is certainly worth 2 free trees...

whatever you do be sure and wait til lyour free and clear by the power company ,i know somebody who was parylized from the waist down getting to close around what seemed like dead power lines im sure you know this but remember ,its not worth your life.

Please don't touch any wires laying on the ground, just because they are on the ground and not sparking does not mean they are not energized. rodents can run on the line because they are touching only one line at a time an there is no poetential difference. birds and the like get hit when they close the gap between the lines with their wings and the currentl flows thru them. go thru the utility to verify with someone on your street - not over the phone - that the lines are dead. drawings never (rarely) get updated at the utility and what they have on paper seldom matches the runs in the street.

When the power company guys arrive, ask them to down the broken tree. I think as long as they are already on site, a line crew is usually happy to take down trees that threaten the lines, especially if they can just leave the trees on the ground. For them it is not a big deal, and might save a hassle in the future. i would definitely wait until somebody verrifies that the lines are not live. The wood isn't going anywhere in the mean time.

CTburning said:
I woke up with a mild hangover on Monday morning and decided to grill up some eggs on the deck. I'm drinking my coffee and and I notice that something is different with the yard. Umm, what could it be? Oh yeah, its the huge white oak lying sideways across the edge of my lawn and the power lines underneath it. There is a right of way to an abandoned house behind me on the other side of the hill. The power lines are ugly and hang very close to the ground. The tree that fell is 24-26" at the base and is very healthy besides the rot where it fell. The trees on the hill all grow up about 75ft and then curve down hill towards the afternoon sun. As it fell, this tree took the top off another oak that is 24" or so at the base. Two for the price of one. I am going to get up early tomm and drop that tree as well! I hope to have at least 2.5 cords of firewood.

I called the power company this morning. I am positve that the lines aren't live as my neighboor's cats were chasing birds there all morning. I'm sure I would have seen sparks because the wires are touching the ground. Nothing is severed though as there is a steel cable connecting everything. I made sure to ask if I would be charged anything and she said "no". Maybe someone else here has experience with a right of way. I don't care about the telephone poles but the wires are unsightly and of no use. What legal right do I have to ask them to take them down? They come to within 8' of the ground so I know they can't be legal. It is way up on the top of my hill but if I'm curious enough to go up there, kids are going to go up there.

The lady couldn't answer too many of my questions but said she would write down the notes and somebody would take a look at it soon. I made sure to include that I wanted the wood and to have the cables/wires removed if possible. We'll see how it goes. I hate that the previous owners sold the right of way for peanut's I'm sure. I have nice flat piece of land over there and could expand the yard if it weren't for those wires. Anyway, thanks and I'll post what happens in a couple of days.

I don't know about CT but here in MA the Electrical code requires all lines to be a minimum of 12' off of grade, maybe call your local inspector??

I have listened to your advice and big surprise, no one showed up today. I remember my father talking to one of the tree guys that was cutting trees along the road a couple of years ago. He said they turned the power off to those lines years ago. I'm not taking a chance either way. I'm going to give them a chance to do it the right way. If they just rig it up so it stays off the ground like it was before I pursue other options. I have so much else going on I won't be able to touch it for a week or two anyway. Thanks for all your replies

Status
Not open for further replies.