Looked at the Dutchwest Large & XL Large Cat Stoves Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
leeave96 said:
certified106 said:
I did want to mention that as much as I like my VC there are some other very nice wood stoves on the market and I would look very closely at Blaze King and the Fireview

The Fireview is definately on my list and seriously considered a Blaze King - which is a fine heater, but I'd like something a little more easy on the eyes than a Blaze King.

Thanks!
Bill

I love my Dutchwest. But, if I had the money to buy a brand new stove, I would seriously consider a Blaze King. The large firebox, long burns and the thermostatically controlled operation all sound like the perfect package for a stove. I think the looks would grow on you if the thing only has to be touched twice a day.

Hello

I bought a FA288CCL extra large cast iron airtight Vermont Castings Consolidated DutchWest Federal design combination Wood/Coal stove with EPA approved Catalytic Combustor and 2 speed blower for another $60 dollars. Regular price $1260.00 on sale for $1060.00 about 20 years. I purchased it at Fireplace Village in Bedford NH. Nice stove and it weighs about 600 lbs!

It takes 24" logs and easily burned all night so I can reload in the morning. I like the thermometer on top.

When going good it reads about 800 to 1,000 degrees. I just took a cold chisel to the chimney and tapped out an 8" round hole for a thimble and hooked up 8" round black pipe. If changing the stove, you can always get a chimney reducer to go down to 6" or 4" for another wood or pellet stove. The T pipe above the damper pipe makes it easy to clean out. I always closed down the damper so it would burn all night. Anyways, Good Luck with your decision and happy burning. :)

Attachments

• VCDutchWestWoodCoalsc.jpg
    VCDutchWestWoodCoalsc.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 242
  • VCDutchWestWoodCoalFire1sc.jpg
    VCDutchWestWoodCoalFire1sc.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 200
  • FederalWoodCoalStove1sc.jpg
    FederalWoodCoalStove1sc.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 200
  • FederalWoodCoalStove2sc.jpg
    FederalWoodCoalStove2sc.jpg