Looking at FPX 36 Elite

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Icebox114

Member
Dec 11, 2023
3
Northern Michigan
Hello all from Northern Michigan, lurked for a little while, but might be my first post. Had local FPX installer and a builder both come out the other day to look at adding a 36 Elite Nexgen hybrid in my house. About 2100 sq ft, the unit will be installed with the face flush with an exterior wall, a bumpout made for the unit and chimney. Small hearth, non-combustible mantle, and still hope to have room for the TV mounted about it all. Installation probably in the springtime. It will be my first venture into owning a wood burner, something I've wanted for a long time. Looking forward to learning from from y'all, chatting about any and all things associated with this particular unit and wood burning in general. Hope to post some pics once installation gets rolling.
 
I don’t have any experience with that unit. Getting your wood supply going would be the importance thing right now. Do you already have some?
 
Yes, I have some hardwood split already, about two cords of seasoned maple, and more to harvest on about 90 acres of hunting land not too far away. Have a 25hp tractor, looking at everything from IBC totes to maybe even building a solar kiln. I envision that the unit won't get seriously used until next fall, giving me time to come up with my system.
 
Yes, I have some hardwood split already, about two cords of seasoned maple, and more to harvest on about 90 acres of hunting land not too far away. Have a 25hp tractor, looking at everything from IBC totes to maybe even building a solar kiln. I envision that the unit won't get seriously used until next fall, giving me time to come up with my system.
That a good start. Until next fall give you time to get a good bit of wood nice and dry. If playing with a year’s time, many hardwoods should be able to dry well enough if split and stacked under cover ( top cover only). Woods that may not be dry enough are the dense hardwoods like oak and hickory. If you can get some pine, don’t turn it down. Dries quickly and performs good. Contrary to the old wives tale, softwoods are safe to burn indoors.
 
Still haven't gotten my quote back from the installer and builder, but now after doing some more research I'm reconsidering the FPX 36 elite with its catalytic unit. The same dealer also sells and installs a Quadra Fire Pioneer line that has tubes on the underside of the baffle for a secondary burn. It seems like the maintenance is easier/less costly for a unit like that vs. a catalytic one. I'm in the process of doing more research on this forum site for other owners thoughts on the two types of inserts. But if anyone cares to chime in here, I'd sure appreciate it.
 
If you get annoyed by having to shell out $300 (or whatever inflation will make it 3-4 years from now) every few years, then don't get a cat stove.
If that doesn't bother you, a cat stove can be great, especially if it is designed such that the heat the cat provides is projected into the room. Often they allow for a lower burn rate (less BTUs per hour, but a longer burn from a load of wood) - though I'm not sure that's that important in Northern MI. (with "sure" being: no experience there, Murray of course is up North too)