Looking at new Stihl saws

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2PistolPacker

Oct 22, 2014
Lenexa, Ks
After several months of looking for an older used Stihl, I'm leaning toward a new MS 391 3.9ci, 64cc with a 25" bar, I've priced them at 6 shops in 2 states and my best price is $559 + tax w/free case and spare chain thrown in. I doubt the 25" bar would fit in the case but my 16" Stihl would. Any comments or complaints about this saw before I spend money on this package? I could get the Husqy 555 w/25" bar for $630 + tax from the same dealer. Thanks, Mike

Well, the 555 is 1.75 pounds lighter, and has very nearly the same power. I'd say the orange one would be more fun to carry around. The 555 is also better built.

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
The 555 is also an autotune model.

Go for the 555. It's pro style construction, autotune carb, and lighter weight are worth the jump in price. It also has FAR better ergonomics than the 391 IMO.

Reactions: TreePointer
The 555 is also an autotune model.
Do you consider the autotune carb a big plus?
I had one Husqy dealer recommend an Echo CS 590, he sells those too of course.

Another vote for the 555 but I would not put a 25" bar on it. Just my opinion though. A 20" bar should knock the price down hopefully if we can convince you to go that route.

Reactions: Osagebndr
Another vote for the 555 but I would not put a 25" bar on it. Just my opinion though. A 20" bar should knock the price down hopefully if we can convince you to go that route.

If you're cutting wood that needs bigger than a 20" bar, you're also going to need machinery to move the wood. So yeah, get a 20" unless you're felling large trees.

I have the ms 291 with 18 bar, very happy and the toolless chain adjuster is the way to go

555 vs 291? Either one will cut a lot of wood.

555 with 1/2 hp more and AutoTune carb will do it much better. AT carbs will adjust to differences in elevation, temperature, and fuel. Follow the directions for break-in and it will serve you well.

If you're cutting wood that needs bigger than a 20" bar, you're also going to need machinery to move the wood. So yeah, get a 20" unless you're felling large trees.
I own a 40 acre hunting/camping ranch on Harry S. Truman Lake in East Central Missouri which 33 acres are wooded, so I have an MF 40 front loader/backhoe, Minneapolis Moline road grader, Ford Dump truck, 2 Ford 8n's and various other old farm implements. The land has never been timbered so some of the live trees are in excess of 5' across. We found a dead tree stump in an old creek bed that was 8' across. Hence the need for a bigger, stronger saw.

I will never need to cut down live trees there, I could work for a year just cutting up what is already down. If I need a tree gone, after a wet spring I lift the front loader bucket up high and push the tree over roots and all. I don't like to mow around stumps or wait 25 years for them to rot away.

That's when I'd be scouring the ads for a used 660.
TreePointer, if you read the first post in this thread, I have been looking for a big older used Stihl. Around here this type of saw is inherited from your grandpa not bought. No one wants to part with these saws. I inherited the 024 Stihl from my father in law when he passed.

Reactions: claydogg84
After several months of looking for an older used Stihl, I'm leaning toward a new MS 391 3.9ci, 64cc with a 25" bar, I've priced them at 6 shops in 2 states and my best price is $559 + tax w/free case and spare chain thrown in. I doubt the 25" bar would fit in the case but my 16" Stihl would. Any comments or complaints about this saw before I spend money on this package? I could get the Husqy 555 w/25" bar for $630 + tax from the same dealer. Thanks, Mike

Whatever you get, if it's a Stihl, be prepared to modify the muffler via a Dremel Mototool and pull the limiter caps on the mixture screws.. Careful opening up of the muff and a richer mixture will make any late model Stihl come alive. Stock (unmodded Stihl's) are basically weenies.

Reactions: 2PistolPacker
I have an 075 with a 30" roller nose running 404 square tooth chipper that would handle anything you have and you if you let it.

Not a weenie saw like the new ones, it pulls the 30 with no issue, in anything.

I have an 075 with a 30" roller nose running 404 square tooth chipper that would handle anything you have and you if you let it.

Not a weenie saw like the new ones, it pulls the 30 with no issue, in anything.
That 075 is a frickin beast, I'll take it.

That 075 is a frickin beast, I'll take it.

Sort of like a 2 stroke motocross bike. Wack the throttle and hang on. When it idles sitting on the ground the damn saw shakes like it's alive. I've bucked 5 foot oak trunks with it and it's no slowing down and the chips make a big pile at your feet. It's a PITA to dress the chain. It's square tooth so you flat file it...carefully.

Not for the timid and definitely not anti kickback. Bought it new and I think I gave about 600 bucks for it. I should have bought an 090G. Thats a saw for a buddy bar.

Don't use it much, it's awful heavy and it's cumbersome but for big diameter bucking it can't be beat......except by an 090G.

My cousin has a 391 with 20" bar. He loves it. Seems to handle the 20" fine. IDK if I personally would want to go bigger just because I would rather have the torque instead of the length. Just because I like to hook into a log and be able to pull the handle up without worrying about bogging down. I have a video of him running it in 20-22" oak logs.. Now if I could just figure out how to post it....

Reactions: 2PistolPacker
Now if I could just figure out how to post it....

Assuming it's on youtube, use the "media" button above the reply box (the button that looks like a couple pieces of film). Paste in the youtube URL.

To really run a 25"..70+cc..but then yur looking at $1k..
I found that out, I couldn't believe how quickly the price jumped from the mid-$600's to $1000 going from 60cc's to 70cc's.
I see a Husqvarna 555 with a 20" bar in my immediate future.

Reactions: Jon1270
Status
Not open for further replies.