Looking for 1/16" x 1/2 inch woven fibreglass gasket tape.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Edmonchuck

Oct 13, 2019
West Central Alberta
I am sorry if this is the wrong area to post this...but I am searching for 1/16" thick by 1/2 inch wide door gasket tape. I can find it in 1" widths, but the 1/2" width seems to only go as low as 1/8" thick.

Any leads would be appreciated. PS - must ship to or be in Canada.

Here's an older thread dealing with the same issue:

1/8" will probably compress to 1/16"...

Reactions: begreen
Here's an older thread dealing with the same issue:

1/8" will probably compress to 1/16"...
That was my thought too. If you want to hurry up the process take a strip and put it in a vice between two wood blocks.

Thanks for the replies. So far, there is nothing avail in even 1/8" x 1/2". Everyone seems to be moving to 5/8" wide as the smallest. That brings up a question of longevity. WIth the new materials, will the wear faster if there is a portion that can be touched by direct flame?

What is the application for this thin gasket? Where is it being used?

The door rail of an older fireplace. There is a 1.5 mm gap between the door surface and the mating surface on the firebox.

Wonder if door glass tape would work for that location. Jotul and others use something like this. It wraps around the glass and is often adhesive on one side.
Or maybe a thin, even bead of RTV?

This is 1/16", might need to cut it in half, lengthwise.

I found that exact tape at GHP Group website. They make a variety of Stoves. Mine is a Pleasant Hearth.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210316-190010.png
    Screenshot_20210316-190010.png
    39 KB · Views: 105