Looking for a New Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The returns can usually be told from the supplies by the vanes. Supply vents usually have a damper with a little handle that allows you to adjust the flow. Return grilles are unrestricted. Sounds like you have it figured out. Now may be a good time to look for a freestanding china cabinet .
Yeah, you are correct no damper control in the vent shown. Ill take care of it. We have one that is full with stuff pretty much the same. Mom said she is going to sell some of it and find a new place for the stuff she wants. Still have to get some quotes on the exterior metal chimney. Read they work if set up properly. Ill have a professional do that and the fitting of the chimney. Ill build the hearth I tiled the bathroom floor and did a nice job. Any specific grouting or stone/tiles that need to be used due to heat? I tried to search it on the web here but only found people building it and not discussing if a special material was used.

Anyone build thier own hearth? Remove carpet, use concrete/rock board mortar and grout away?

Anyone build thier own hearth? Remove carpet, use concrete/rock board mortar and grout away?
Hearth construction needed will depend on the stove maker's requirements; Some need R-value between the hearth tiles and combustibles, others just require ember protection. If you look at the manuals, they should list the floor protections requirements.

Last edited:
Yeah, you are correct no damper control in the vent shown. Ill take care of it. We have one that is full with stuff pretty much the same. Mom said she is going to sell some of it and find a new place for the stuff she wants. Still have to get some quotes on the exterior metal chimney. Read they work if set up properly. Ill have a professional do that and the fitting of the chimney. Ill build the hearth I tiled the bathroom floor and did a nice job. Any specific grouting or stone/tiles that need to be used due to heat? I tried to search it on the web here but only found people building it and not discussing if a special material was used.

Are you still considering putting in a Blaze King stove? If so, which one? That will determine the hearth requirements and the chimney requirements. Approximately how tall would the chimney be? Is there any possibility of it going straight up?

Are you still considering putting in a Blaze King stove? If so, which one? That will determine the hearth requirements and the chimney requirements. Approximately how tall would the chimney be? Is there any possibility of it going straight up?

Im going with one of the BK 30 series. Probably the Sirocco 30 with the legs. I was tring to find the manual but got distracted.

The chimney will be pretty tall once outside the wall. Id say 25' minimum. Ive read 2 foot taller than the closest thing whithin 10 feet. Essentially the roof top in my case all trees are 50'+ away.

Plan on doing a sweeping turn instead of a sharp 90 above the stove to get it outside.

I also live on a slight knob where there seems to almost always be a breeze.

Just found the PDF for the minimum clearance I can actually do a little better so thats good. Just need to sit down and figure out hearth size.

According to this, as I read I dont need any R value just a basic hearth?

Screenshot_20170313-125342.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct, the hearth for the Sirocco only needs to provide ember protection. And it sounds like you will have sufficient draft. This is shaping up to be a good plan. The only option I would suggest investigating is going up straight through the house. That will keep the flue gases hotter which is important with these stoves. But that is not to say your current plan won't work. With a tall exterior chimney you may need to clean the chimney more frequently and it probably will cost a bit more, but for some layouts that is the most practical option.

Last edited:
Reactions: woodchipper95
Correct, the hearth for the Sirocco only needs to provide ember protection. And it sounds like you will have sufficient draft. This is shaping up to be a good plan. The only option I would suggest investigating is going up straight through the house. That will keep the flue gases hotter which is important with these stoves. But that is not to say your current plan won't work. With a tall exterior chimney you may need to clean the chimney more frequently and it probably will cost a bit more, but for some layouts that is the most practical option.
Yeah, this house is really old. And the original chimney spoke about earlier in the thread won't cut it. So this is pretty much my only option, right above the stove is a bedroom thats already small 9x10 and has a closet in the corner where the chimney would go up through if I were to go through the roof. So out the wall and up is the only option. When I have my house built it will be largly designed around a central wood stove in an insulated basement only a single story house with basement. The chimney will be fully enclosed in the house and be set up to run a large stove like a BK king.

I have a King Ultra (with ash pan) I'm selling. I'd be willing to meet you about half way for delivery. I'm located 45 mins north of Syracuse NY but could bring it down to about Mansfield PA to meet. I sent you a PM.