Looking for a New Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

woodchipper95

Mar 9, 2017
Perry County, Pa
New to hearth... I'm on all the other sites though.

I am looking for a new stove. Was dead set on a Blaze King but there is no way I can have it properly set up. Here is a picture of my current $10 yard sale hot box it works but burns sooo fast no matter what I do. Used it for around 8 years now.

I am looking for options that would work with my current chimney set up, that will offer a minimum 12 hour burn time on low. 1800 square foot house. No budget really, if its worth the price.

Thanks, Woodchipper
20160127_172704.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We need to know more about you chimney ect to be able to give you any good input really. And You are going to want to insulate those walls to you are loosing about 1/3 of your heat through them into the ground.

How about the Quadra Fire stoves?
Quads are good stoves regency are very similar to quads. Englander makes some great cheaper stoves. SBI has a wide range of stoves under drolet osburn and several other names all are pretty good stoves as well. And many other I didnt mention. But they are all going to need a good chimney and like I said before insulating the walls will make a huge difference regardless of what stove you choose,

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
So much so wrong with this picture. Galvanized warm air duct being used for stove pipe, metal tape on joints, uninsulated walls...

So much so wrong with this picture. Galvanized warm air duct being used for stove pipe, metal tape on joints, uninsulated walls...
Stove pipe is out the rear. I have a blower that blows hot air through the galvanized pipe into the first floor of the house. The walls I never really thought about. What do you need to know about the chimney?

Quads are good stoves regency are very similar to quads. Englander makes some great cheaper stoves. SBI has a wide range of stoves under drolet osburn and several other names all are pretty good stoves as well. And many other I didnt mention. But they are all going to need a good chimney and like I said before insulating the walls will make a huge difference regardless of what stove you choose,
The chimney is pretty tall, two story house, obviously the stove is in the basement. It is not fully exposed first floor is completely inside the house/back porch and then pretty sure its exposed 3 sides until above the main roof. Once above the roof is goes for another id say 8' or 10'. It appears to have a square clay liner probably 8"-8". The tiles seem to aline well and I don't see many breaks or cracks. Realistically I dont plan on staying in this house but another 3 years and will be building a new place on 31 acers. I will have it designed to make wood heat my 100% primary heating source so I can burn over night. As well as insulating it probably above code and whatever else I find or the professionals recommend.

The chimney is pretty tall, two story house, obviously the stove is in the basement. It is not fully exposed first floor is completely inside the house/back porch and then pretty sure its exposed 3 sides until above the main roof. Once above the roof is goes for another id say 8' or 10'. It appears to have a square clay liner probably 8"-8". The tiles seem to aline well and I don't see many breaks or cracks. Realistically I dont plan on staying in this house but another 3 years and will be building a new place on 31 acers. I will have it designed to make wood heat my 100% primary heating source so I can burn over night. As well as insulating it probably above code and whatever else I find or the professionals recommend.
Well you say not many cracks???? that means you need a liner. just because you are not going to be there long does not mean you dont need a safe install

Another consideration is the flue height. It's often very difficult to find a stove with a flue collar low enough to match up with installs like that. You can rule out any steel stove except maybe 1 from Woodstock. What's the thimble height?

Reactions: woodchipper95
Yeah, thats what I figured. Thimble- spot where the stove pipe meets the wall? Where should the measurement be taken ground to bottom?
Most manufacturers give either top of flue or centerline measurents.

It is not hard at all to raise the thimble location when a liner is put in either. That would be the easiest solution.

Currently about 33" to the mid-line...
It is not hard at all to raise the thimble location when a liner is put in either. That would be the easiest solution.
That seems hard... wouldn't that mean basically cutting a whole somehow into the chimney and blocking the current one? Doesn't seem easy to me.

That seems hard... wouldn't that mean basically cutting a whole somehow into the chimney and blocking the current one? Doesn't seem easy to me.
Yes that is what is involved and for someone who does chimney work all the time it should not be hard at all.

Reactions: woodchipper95
Then it comes down to stove choice. How does the Regency 3100 burn I tried some videos but they really didn't show much?
I am happy with mine it burns clean and puts out a pretty good amount of heat. I probably would have gone bigger if I was buying new but I got that one for next to nothing so for the price it works great. But I cant heat my whole house with it. I am not sure I could with any stove just due to heat distribution problems due to my old house's layout. And the fact that it is an old Victorian with lots of windows ect. With a full load of good hardwood I easily get 8 to 10 hours of useable heat out of it.

How's that heat exchanger work?

Stove pipe is out the rear. I have a blower that blows hot air through the galvanized pipe into the first floor of the house. The walls I never really thought about. What do you need to know about the chimney?
Ducting heat off the wood stove is not to code.

Ducting heat off the wood stove is not to code.
Unless the stove is made to do so. We dont know about this one though but it does not matter he is getting the system inspected and switching it out anyway.

Could be wrong but the stove looks homebuilt to me. It's also unclear what the OP's future plans are to get heat up from the basement, thus the cautionary note. If the desire is to still duct the heat then a wood furnace would be a better idea. With the uninsulated walls up to a third of the heat produced by a modern stove will be heading outdoors through the walls.