Looking for a new wood stove. So many choices and questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

farmwithjunk

Sep 19, 2022
PA
We closed last December and the Woodchuck 4000 wood furnace was already in use so we continued to use it throughout winter. The unit has a blower and ductwork but it was never attached to the air handler which is several feet away. I'll likely move this to my uninsulated pole barn which would be better than nothing when work out in the cold.

We are in the process of renovating and the Woodchuck just isn't much to look at, seems incredibly fuel hungry and seems to let smoke into the house when the door is open. I did find out later that its missing the smoke flap at the top.

My flue is 8" but it goes into a 6x9 stainless liner up the whole way to the vent cap. The chimney is 13' to the ground and the flue is another 4-5 feet below that.

The first stove shop I went to he reccomended a Hitzer 354 but I've found that it would not be an ideal stove (or rated) to burn wood in but the price was reasonable. I like the Lopi Liberty which they sell but its not eligible for the tax rebate. The Hearthstone Green Mountain 80 seems like it meets all my checkboxes and is rated for an 8" flue. Would I be able to connect 8" to the 6x9" liner and have adequate performance? Another stove shop (whos quotes were way too high) said its no problem going from a 6" stove to my liner.

The KE40 would be on my list as well but its quickly approaching my limit. The house is 28x56, two level and has an addition off the side as well. I believe I could rig up my air handler to pull hot air and circulate it through the house.

Is the stove connected to the chimney via a thimble at the wall or is it straight up?

The best option may not qualify for the tax credit. A short chimney is going to need an easy-breathing stove. Look at models from Regency, Pacific Energy, Drolet, and Osburn that will work on a short flue system.

Is the stove connected to the chimney via a thimble at the wall or is it straight up?

The best option may not qualify for the tax credit. A short chimney is going to need an easy-breathing stove. Look at models from Regency, Pacific Energy, Drolet, and Osburn that will work on a short flue system.
Yes, current stove has a few feet horizontal into the thimble. I have not take it apart at the thimble to see how it was done. I believe they used vermiculite but not the whole way to the top.

Chimney is 49*16" all brick to the floor with just the center open. Is 18foot vertical from the thimble up still considered short?

No, 18 ft from the thimble is good. It sounded shorter at first. Thanks for clarifying.

No, 18 ft from the thimble is good. It sounded shorter at first. Thanks for clarifying.
GM80 manual says 14' minimum and max 30. The only thing that does not match up is my 6X9 oval liner vs their 8". Not sure if the minimal loss in area makes enough difference?

Edit, looking at the picture it's more rectangular with rounded corners so it's equivalent to 8" is my understanding.

Last edited:
8" round is 50 square inch.
6*9 is 54 square inch. Not too much difference. I'd say that should be ok for chimney cross section.

Sounds like this is within spec for the GM 80.