Looking for a z-wave smart thermostat with occupancy input

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mpilihp

Feeling the Heat
Apr 22, 2008
Coastal ME
Hi so I am using a commercial thermostat that has an input for occupancy which I use to tell the thermostat if the wood boiler is hot and can provide heat.

I have an oil boiler that the Stat is set to heat to 55 deg unoccupied and the wood boiler that is set to heat to 76 deg for occupied and it knows which temp to use based on the occupancy input.

That said I want to get a thermostat with the occupancy input that also is zwave capable to connect to my Smartthings hub.

thanks for your help.

Phil

I have Ecobee thermostats and a HomeSeer smart home hub. You can get a what they call a “plugin” for the HomeSeer hub that adds the Ecobee thermostats as a device. Then you can use the occupancy settings for the Ecobee (including sensors linked to the Ecobee in different rooms) to trigger IFTT protocols with any z-wave device on the HomeSeer hub.
a Google search does return some z-wave thermostats, but I don’t know about/haven’t used any.