Looking for advise on insert for small fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ici. peb

Mar 28, 2021
Ottawa, ON
Good day,
I have a fireplace I love to use but would like to add an insert to get some actual heat.
The small firebox is making it difficult to find a contemporary looking insert with a larger viewing area.
Here are the specs :
Front width: 34"
Front height: 26"
Depth bottom: 17"
Depth top: 14"
Back width bottom: 20"
Back width top : 21"
Back height: 26"

I have also attached two pictures.

I am considering the Regency ci2700 (it should fit and it has a large viewing area) but since this is not our main source of heat, it seems over kill. Also, the number of posts I read about the learning curve associated with catalytic stoves is a bit discouraging.

I love the look of the Stûv 6 inserts but getting information on them from local dealers is like pulling teeth...

Any recommendation considering I want (1) to enjoy the ambiance a fire creates,
(2) get more heat than with our current fireplace without needing to replace our main source of heat.?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

20201230_104145.jpg20201230_104110.jpg

Hi merryBee,
Thanks for your reply. I'm also new to this site.

That's a nice idea. But would I get the advantage of an insert i.e. more heat, fire easier to start and maintain, etc.?

It would be good to narrow down the most important needs. A big fire view is going to mean a larger insert. How will the fireplace be used, evenings and weekends or 24/7 heating?

How large is the room that the fireplace is in? Is this room wide open to the rest of the house? What is the total sq ftg of the house?

Hi begreen and thanks for pitching in!

We do not use our fireplace as a main source of heat. We use it often during the day and the evening but simply because we enjoy the view/smell/sound/heat.

The fireplace is located in a large living room. Currently, we only feel the heat if we are right next to the fireplace. We would be happy enough if the heat could radiate throughout the space. We know it will not heat outside the room and we accept that since we do not have space for a wood stove.

As I mentioned in my original post, the firebox is rather small and limit my options. I believe the Ci1150 Alterra®
Wood Insert would fit best but it means accepting a rather small viewing area. In addition, I would not want to use the insert's fan. Having to listen to a motor while relaxing in front of a fireplace is the last thing I want...

I have great difficulties finding other viable options.

I welcome all suggestions!

Actually, to really answer your main question on priority needs :

1. Ease of use (I like being able to start a fire without having to constantly manage it. I have found high efficiency stoves achieve that and I assume an insert would as well)
2. Viewing area
3. Efficiency (Ideally meeting Montréal requirements)
4.Heat without a fan

Can you estimate part #2?

How large is the room that the fireplace is in? Is this room wide open to the rest of the house? What is the total sq ftg of the house?

Hi begreen,

Our house is a split level (side split).
The space the fireplace is in, is around 1,000 sq ft.
It is somewhat open to the rest of the house since only a set of stairs separate it from the bedrooms at the upper level.

The whole house is approximately 1,800 sq ft.

This may go beyond the scope/budget of what you were planning to do, but since the fireplace is so small and cramping your options, I would suggest you consider the following:

Close off the existing fireplace with brick
Make a hole above the fireplace to install a thimble going into a new insulated liner
Extend the existing hearth
Install a stove with a nice big front window

This is a shallow fireplace. In order to install a large insert, the unit would need to extend further out onto the hearth. A custom shim might be added behind the surround and the upper rear firebrick carved out, but it will be a squeaker even then. I was going to suggest the Osburn Matrix, but it is too deep. So is the ci2700. The Hearthstone Clydesdale could fit. It has adjustable depth. It also qualifies for the 25D tax credit.

As for size, based on the house set up it does not sound like the ci2700 would be too big. In milder weather, if less heat is desired, build a smaller fire. The shallow depth is a limiting factor for this installation.