Looking for Good Firewood - MI

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkmola

Oct 26, 2014
The Mitten
Made the same rookie mistake almost all new stove owners make - not having enough well seasoned wood. I've looked all over CL, and other local ads. I live between Flint and Saginaw. I know it's a bad time of year to be looking, but does anyone know where I might find some good, seasoned wood to get me through the rest of the year? Appreciate it.

Made the same rookie mistake almost all new stove owners make - not having enough well seasoned wood. I've looked all over CL, and other local ads. I live between Flint and Saginaw. I know it's a bad time of year to be looking, but does anyone know where I might find some good, seasoned wood to get me through the rest of the year? Appreciate it.
Good luck finding some this time of year. Your best bet is to get urself some hardwood skids. They are usually dry and burn great. I use a skil saw to cut them up just wAtch out for nails.

Look around for someone with standing dead ash. A lot of it has been dead a couple years you could cut up some and check it with a moisture meter and see what you get.

You could try one of the compressed hardwood brick type fuels available at Menards or TSC. From what I've read you should start with smaller loads at the beginning and then adjust the amount of fuel with subsequent loads. Some people use one or two bricks with their marginally seasoned wood.

Yeah, I'm figgerin I'm gonna have to go with the less than ideal wood/eco-brick route. Just thought I'd check and see if someone in the area knew about a seller that had good seasoned wood for sale. It was worth a check.

Cut and split about 30% more than you need right now, then offer a seasoned wood burner a trade at 1.2 or 1.3 per cord of dry seasoned wood.

Otherwise, I'd go the Eco-brick route. Call it what it is: a penalty for not planning ahead.

I'm css ash and burning it within a week to the same day as split and it burns just fine. I have a MM but I don't have to check it. These ash trees were dead standing and ready to burn. They light up with very little effort. Dead standing ash is very plentiful. You should have no problem finding it. good luck

I'm css ash and burning it within a week to the same day as split and it burns just fine. I have a MM but I don't have to check it. These ash trees were dead standing and ready to burn. They light up with very little effort. Dead standing ash is very plentiful. You should have no problem finding it. good luck

Even standing dead the trunk wood on any of the dead ash I have processed is 30% on a meter give or take a little. Sure it'll burn but far from ideal.

If I seen this before we got snow I had some help to offer. I have around 2/3 cord of soft maple that is ready to go but I'm not getting to it until the snow melts now. :(

I'd offer some of mine if I had extra, but I'm literally in the same boat. First year heating with wood at this house, and I have an old inefficient 40 year old dinosaur. I've gone through 8 cords this year and only have about 2 left. :(

Not too far from you either. If you can find ash, it's your best bet by far. I cut and burned a live ash earlier in the year (rare in MI to have ash still alive but they do exist!) and everything but the first 3 feet was under 27% moisture content. The bottom 3 feet have since dried and been burned, but it's worth mentioning. If you don't have a moisture meter, pick one up. I got mine at Harbor Freight.

Reactions: Polarbear
Just as an update - I found a guy about 5 miles from my house who is a certified arborist. $50/fc of ash, guaranteed mc of 20% or less. Gonna stop and pick up a face cord when I get out of work for a sample. If it's good to go, says he has enough to get me through the rest of this yr. Normally, I would say this must be my lucky day, but I tripped and put my head through a plate glass window this morning - so that can't be it. Lol

Reactions: 2PistolPacker
Considering you're still typing, sounds like it is your lucky day.

Reactions: 1750
Status
Not open for further replies.