Looking for help connecting stove pipe to wood stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geneticdelight

Oct 16, 2013
Minnesota
Hi everyone.

I bought a farm this year that has a wood stove connected to the propane furnace for supplemental heat.

As you can see in these pictures - http://imgur.com/a/qIo4M, a stovepipe connection was missing from the chimney fitting to the stove fitting itself.

What is the proper way of connecting the pipes together?

On both of the pipe coming out of the chimney and the pipe coming out of the stove, they have female ends.

I bought a stovepipe where one side is male, and a connector (the 4th picture) where both sides are male.

Is the piece in the 4th picture the one I need to connect the pipe, and which way should it go? Should the male side of the pipe face the chimney, or the stove?

Any and all information is very much appreciated. I am a complete newbie to this, and would love to get my stove up and running before snow flies. Thank you!

Welcome to the site!

A couple of questions.

What kind of stove is it you are hooking up. In general, it's best to have the male ends pointing towards the stove. In that configuration, if any creosote were to drip down the pipe, it would stay in the pipe and not run out of the joint and down the outside.

However, on some older stoves, their stove pipe collar was made as a male end instead of a female end, in that case, you'd need to flip things or use a double female piece (short piece of stove pipe) there.

Also, when you say the stove is connected to the propane furnace, do you mean that they share the same chimney and flue? Or do you mean that they are hooked together for the purpose of heating water or forced hot air?

Welcome to the site.

pen

Thank you!

It is a englander 28-3500 wood add on furnace. They don't share the same chimney. They are hooked together for the purpose of forced hot air.

I have some pictures (albeit dark ones) on the link I posted originally, if that helps at all. There is no pipe collar at this point, just a fitting coming from my chimney, and a fitting coming from my stove. The middle part (stove pipe) is missing. Both fittings have female ends. I bought a stove pipe with one male and one female end, along with a connector with two male ends, just in case.

Ok, so if I follow, they have the male end stuck into the chimney and a male end stuck into the stove right now?

If so, couldn't you use the male/male adapter into the chimney's thimble, then run whatever is necessary for pipe down to the furnace keep the male end pointed down the whole way?

It looks as though if you did that, the current pipe coming out of the chimney could be flipped around and would work?

pen

I'll add, each joint should have 3 screws in it to secure them as well.

If they aren't seating that great (air gaps) this can cause extra creosote to build in these stove pipes. If that's the case, putting some furnace cement in the joint before putting the pipes together can seal things up better. Makes a mess, and is a pain, but will seal things up.

pen

Well, I'm not really sure what will work. Like I said, I am 100% new to wood stoves.

The male end is definitely stuck into the stove, I was able to get that piece out. As for the elbow coming out of the chimney pipe, I'm not sure. I assume the male end is stuck in there as well, because the female end is sticking out.

That actually brings me to a new question: Should I put screws into the fitting coming out of the stove as well?

All of that black stove pipe is replaceable and therefore should be able to be removed and replaced as needed.

But by the sounds of it, you haven't removed that piece of black stove pipe from the chimney yet?

If so it needs to be done, and then it sounds like you can connect as I mentioned above, but you need to see what you are working with. It's also possible that the top pipe going into the chimney is female on both ends as someone could have cut the male end off of it where it connects to the chimney.

Has this chimney been cleaned lately? Inspected lately?

If you are at all unsure / uncomfortable here, it'd be worth the money to bring a sweep in this year, watch him work, ask his opinion of the setup and put those pipes together for you. That would easily give you some confidence and reassurance.

In all, more pics could be helpful to better understand the setup and give you a better ideas. It's tough to see what's going on at the moment.

pen

I took a chimney brush and swept the entire chimney today. It was inspected by my home inspector before I bought the house, and I haven't used it since.

I don't really know what else to take a picture of, there are the two ends that need a pipe connected, and I took a picture of the parts as well. I will definitely clean the existing fittings before I connect the pipe.

Black stove pipe is relatively inexpensive. Dripping creosote is very messy. If I was in your situation I would just pull the pipe out of your thimble or chimney and see what you have on the end sticking inside the chimney. You don't show any images where that pipe enters the chimney, but with my downstairs stove my single wall pipe has a connector/fitting with a flange on the end that goes into my round clay tile thimble. Is that the setup you have? Anyway, once you sort out how that pipe connects to your flue I would just buy new pipe and elbows (if the present elbows aren't normal ones with a male and female end on them) and re-pipe from the thimble to the stove. If your elbows look good you could just put a coat of stove paint on them to match your new stove pipe sections. Attach all the pipes to the elbows with three screws and the same for the pipe to the stove collar.

Status
Not open for further replies.