looking for help deciding on a wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deakonjones

Feb 5, 2011
vermont
so heres my situation- currently heating my house with a oil fired boiler, and thinking about adding a new yorker wc-130 wood boiler. now a couple questions i have are, i was told maybe to go with the wc-90 to make the boiler work harder to heat the house. ( they said to use a smaller stove so it will burn hotter and cleaner, the larger stove may smolder and create cresote). also i only have one chimney any problem with putting oil and wood into same chimney since im only burning one at a time. and lastly ive read quite abit of posts about people burning coal and having problems with keeping the fires going in these stoves- i plan on wood only and was hoping that its as easy as having a fire in a wood stove. living in vermont where the winters can get to negative 10 on some nights and trying to heat a 3000 square foot home. thanks dave

What size is your oil boiler, does it heat your house comfortably?

Chimney might be a problem, I believe they can not share.

i beleive my boiler is a 108,000 btu, not completely sure. it does its job on average temperature nights and works hard on the colder nights, recently we dipped down to 26 below and it couldnt keep up. as for the chimney, thats what i was afraid of.

If you are going to buy a new wood boiler I would sure recommend a gasification one. With care you won't have creosote issues. I would not undersize a wood boiler & hope it will keep up. If you had storage I would oversize it quite a bit. The next boiler I buy will be as large as the chimney will handle. I would not connect a wood boiler & oil boiler at the same time & in my state it is against code. You could run your wood boiler & look for a used power vent oil boiler as it probably would just be backup, Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.