Looking for help with gasification boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Boilergeek said:
Does anyone know of a boiler comming this fall to the US market that has an option for a Lambda control?

My EKO 25 is getting the not-quite-famous DIY Lambda sensor option ;-)

What's your interest in this? I've been looking for information on exactly how lambda sensors are used - just what adjustments are typically made, and at what points in the combustion cycle.

I have used them in commercial boiler applications. I have a 14 zone system with 2 condensing modulating boilers and I owe my soul to the propane company. Word is that Tarm is comming out with someones boiler that has Lambda option on board opperating the primary and secondary draft dmpers with servos to adjust the combustion. I have given them a deposit and am waiting to see. They wont give me much info. Someone knows what the deal is.
The sensor is similar to the ones used in the automotive industry from what I understand.

Here's a wood gasification/pellet boiler I saw at a trade show in Sweden that uses a Lambda. Like the Tarm, it's made in Denmark, I believe.

It's the Effecta Lambda.

Attachments

• 68.jpg
    68.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 838
The Euro styling is all over the map. I'm sure it plays "Burning Down the House."

According to heaterman, Froeling will be bringing their lambda controlled wood boiler stateside this year. I'd be interested to hear any further progress on that.

FYI, from my recent conversations with Tarm, I believe the decision is that the Innova standard model is the one which will be available here, not the lambda model. At least, initially. 50hz is an issue, as is the price for the lambda upgrade, compared to the small market for it. It does improve efficiency, but wood is still cheap enough that the added efficiency would not pay for the control in a short enough time to generate demand sufficient to justify the cost of converting the control.

Hopefully, it will become available as an upgrade on new and existing Innova boilers in the coming years, but I think that focusing on getting the boilers, themselves, ready for US sale is a good decision.

The Innova is a very nice boiler, and I looked over Tarm's demonstration unit a few weeks ago. A few things to note... the Innova may only be installed with storage, although for many of us, that is not an issue (I no longer even consider installing gasification boilers without storage)... price will likely be higher than the Solo Plus, but should still be fairly close... the Innova should be available this fall, barring any major problems.

Again, this is me saying this, based upon my experience and some conversations with Tarm regarding the Innova. This is not anything official from them. Don't go blaming them if any of my information is not 100% accurate, at this point.

Joe

I was talking to the guy from Econoburn last week and they are coming out with a system that uses O2 sensors and controls the unit better. He didn't have a time line though.

Status
Not open for further replies.