Looking for new large woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
No doubt-don't want to spend more if it's unwarranted. That's one of my hesitations on the Lopi Cape Cod.
Also keep in mind how usable a firebox is. Some rate the box pretty large, but is hard to load fully. The Cape Cod is 3 cubic feet, the box being about 24” wide and only 9” deep. If one were to cut their wood 24” wide, the arched opening makes it impossible to load fully. Or you could cut your wood 9” long and load N/W and fit a lot more wood in. 24” wood, or 9” wood isn’t practical.. I tried it both ways, I could get an equivalent of 2 additional 24” logs if I cut them down to 9”.

Reliable and simple . . . one word: Jotul. Trust me on this. Or don't . . . check the reviews.

OK, a few more words . . . Jotul if you can find a F600 or F500 without the hybrid feature (verdict is still out on the hybrids).

Reactions: Highbeam
Reliable and simple . . . one word: Jotul. Trust me on this. Or don't . . . check the reviews.

OK, a few more words . . . Jotul if you can find a F600 or F500 without the hybrid feature (verdict is still out on the hybrids).
We joke at work, If you sell them a Jotul you’ll never see them again. It’s true, but it’s also true with a lot of steel non cat stoves. The Manchester was shaping up to be the same.

Also keep in mind how usable a firebox is. Some rate the box pretty large, but is hard to load fully. The Cape Cod is 3 cubic feet, the box being about 24” wide and only 9” deep. If one were to cut their wood 24” wide, the arched opening makes it impossible to load fully. Or you could cut your wood 9” long and load N/W and fit a lot more wood in. 24” wood, or 9” wood isn’t practical.. I tried it both ways, I could get an equivalent of 2 additional 24” logs if I cut them down to 9”.
Yep. That is the disadvantage of a shallow firebox. Some can be E/W loading only.
I don't really want a cat but have accepted the fact that it may be an option I have to have.
The long burn of some cat stoves is helpful if you will be away from the stove for 12+ hrs most of the time. We've heated for a long time without a cat stove. Our stove goes on 12hr reload cycles in milder weather and 8hr cycles when it is cold out. We use the heat pump when temps are above 45º typically.

Last edited:

I noticed this same behavior about my defiant for the short time it was in use. It's really hard to load the stove all the way up, even with the side load door.

Kuuma sequoia?

For what is worth I’m in CT. I bought my stove(insert) without knowing anything about stoves. I got cape cod. It is a great heater. I live in a raised ranch style house. The insert is upstairs and does it’s job well but my rec room downstairs is cold. I want to put free standing stove there now. I was thorn between a PH which is beautiful or BK 30 series. I decided on getting the ugly girl from BK . A lot of people in Alaska are burning princesses there has to be a reason for it.

Reactions: webby3650
I’ve had a Buck 91 since 2010 and love it. I’ve changed out the cat once at 7 years. Built like a tank and gets 12 + hour burns when I pack it with dry oak and hickory.
Just my 2 cents

We're taking delivery today of the Woodstock Ideal Steel-I was not entirely enamored with the look of this unit but the reviews of the performance characteristics, the great customer service thus far with the company, the larger firebox size and my wife's approval of the design led me to this stove. Can't wait to get 'er hot!

Anyone want a free VC 1610 Non-Cat from 2006 that needs a new fireback????

Congratulations, that will be a nice improvement. The IS is no beauty, but I can tolerate it in plain black with no bling added.
There are a few hundred pounds of scrap iron in the stove. That has some value. Or put it on Craigslist as a parts stove.

Last edited: