Looking for new stove, a bit overwhelmed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Is that a straight shot of 15' or are there elbows/bends?

No, just a clay lined masonry stove. (see my above post about it being too large). I am aware I may need a liner, I am hoping I can get my for the year and install one over the summer. Hearthstone manual says chimney should be 15' to the floor, I just tested a few pieces, they average 18% moisture. But the pieces already in the stove may be on the high side. They came from a different part of the stack.....
What is your procedure for testing moisture content

At this point burn your driest stuff and see how it goes. You may end up needing a liner and extension but the only way to know is by running it

Reactions: psu927
1 90' elbow. But I have about 17' to the floor (Hearthstone manual says 15' to the floor)

I am testing moisture by splitting a piece, and testing the center with a moisture meter.
Good that is the proper technique

I will say this thing chooches like a freight train as soon as I crack the door, (no smoke out the door) but I definitely have moisture in my bottom wood. (can see it boiling out). I just feel like it needs a tiny bit more air from the draft control. (chimney liner in the works). I'm gonna test every piece and get my driest stuff and see how it works. Its super windy outside right now, that's probably not helping things.

I will say this thing chooches like a freight train as soon as I crack the door, (no smoke out the door) but I definitely have moisture in my bottom wood. (can see it boiling out). I just feel like it needs a tiny bit more air from the draft control. (chimney liner in the works). I'm gonna test every piece and get my driest stuff and see how it works. Its super windy outside right now, that's probably not helping things.
The wind could help as well.

1 90' elbow. But I have about 17' to the floor (Hearthstone manual says 15' to the floor)

I am testing moisture by splitting a piece, and testing the center with a moisture meter.
At room temperature. Not frozen potentially frozen wood pile. Acclimate piece for 24 hours inside home, then split and check.

Does the manual say 15' or minimum of 15'? Can you convert 90 to 2 45's? Is it dbl wall or single wall?

The wind could help as well.
Yes, if he has a cap. I don't know, you see more chimneys than I do but....clay liner, no insulated liner, no cap is possibility. But yes, with proper cap, wind can help increase draft and increase burn rate (hotter)

Does the manual say 15' or minimum of 15'? Can you convert 90 to 2 45's? Is it dbl wall or single wall?
Thanks ahead of time for the help, gonna be a learning curve for sure.

I have single wall, with 1 90. (no room for 2 45s) my total pipe from stove to thimble is probably 2' countjng the radius of the 90. Manual says recommended minimum of 15' to floor. (max recommended is 30) I'll bring a piece in tomorrow to check moisture.

Last edited:
Yes, if he has a cap. I don't know, you see more chimneys than I do but....clay liner, no insulated liner, no cap is possibility. But yes, with proper cap, wind can help increase draft and increase burn rate (hotter)
No cap at all right now.

No cap at all right now.
You can get double wall to work. Use a adjustable section off the stove, the 45 and another 45. It will shorten the horizontal run into your chimney. The stove is super, but it's not your old Fisher. So, invest in the double wall first. If it runs better with dry fuel, great. If not, insulated liner is next step.

You bought a Ferrari, you can't run it on pump fuel and bald tires. 😃

Got her good and hot before bed, loaded it about half full (first overnight burn, didn't want to push it) and engaged the catalyst with about 1/4 air flow. It burned right down without going out. I will look into the double wall pipe...With the stove only being about 5" from the wall (masonry) it didn't look to me like I had enough room, but if I put the 45 right in the chimney thimble, and the second 45 directly onto the 1st, it will be close. I may need to move the stove out another inch or 2

Reactions: BKVP