Looking for opinions on current stove setup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HotLogs

Mar 17, 2014
Indianer
Please see the attached 3 pics. 2400 sq ft house. 3 floors of 800 sq ft. Wood stove is basically almost in a corner. Choppy layout. Is it safe to get up near 600 -700 degrees that close to the concrete walls? It is a old vc defiant. I am getting ready to install a thread repair kit for thermostat in back, long story. Would u guys put a fan anywhere near it. I hate the noise of anything. Stove is so peaceful. Would u guys move it out more? U can see I've already taken down basement ceilings to allow for better heat upstairs. Anything helps right? Thinking about bricking it as well which would obviously make the walls even closer to the stove. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks

Its hard to tell from pics but clearances look pretty close what stove is it? The pipe definitely looks to close to the wall at the top unless that is all non combustible wall

ok then that should be ok what do you want to know?

Looks like you have already insulated the walls except near the stove. That had to make a nice improvement. I wouldn't brick it in. The gain would be trivial without a thermal barrier on the surrounding concrete.

You could put a quiet 10' or 12" table fan, running on low speed, on the floor at the top of the basement stairs, pointing down the stairs. This will boost convection by pushing cooler upstairs air down toward the basement. You will feel a river of warm air at the top of the door going upstairs and replacing the cooler air.

Status
Not open for further replies.