Looking for recommendations on new units

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wilcoroger

Mar 2, 2023
Newfoundland
Hi. New member here. I've lurked for a long time but now I need honest opinions from people that know. I'll give my history first I guess.

In 2006 we purchased an old house that has been moved twice in location. It had electric heat and was very cold for the first winter. We're talking a $5-600 monthly power bill and freezing to death haha. I decided that winter that the next winter would have a wood stove.

So my first unit was a cast iron acorn voyager wood stove. Very big stove and being cast iron, it took a lot of wood to get it heated up, but once heated, it stayed warm a very long time without fuel even. We used that unit for 5 years burning 14 truckloads a winter. A lot of wood and a lot of work. So we decided on an upgrade to a more modern stove.

Unit number 2 was a drolet classic 2200. It was a tremendous amount easier on wood and gave off really good heat. I cut my fuel usage down to 8 truckloads the first winter. I was loving that, but all I could get was 6-8 hours burn time. Less than optimal with such an old house. We took that unit out in favor of a promise of longer burn times and less wood usage 2 years ago in 2021.

The third unit that's in use now is a drolet tundra 2 wood furnace. It can really put out a lot of heat, but the promise of less wood usage isn't there. In fact I am using almost 3 times more than the drolet classic. Far, far to much fuel. And I'm not getting the promised burn times either. The stove is gone out the majority of mornings. The big problem with the wood furnace is that it's in my garage. I don't have a basement so I'm not getting any radiation in the house. I have to burn a lot of wood to heat the house and maintain the temp because of the lack of radiation. Whole the garage and the room above the garage are very very warm.

So, we are going back to a wood stove inside the house. I'm looking for recommendations on a good unit, with long burn times, that requires little clearances. I would love to have a catalyst stove but I don't have the budget for it unless my tundra 2 sells. Without the sale I have a $2000 budget for the stove alone. Please give me your thoughts. I'm very sorry for the very long initial post but I feel the more info you have the better.

The close clearances may be an issue, but maybe not depending on what that means. In this budget range look at the Drolet Legend/Myriad and the Englander 32-NC.

The close clearances may be an issue, but maybe not depending on what that means. In this budget range look at the Drolet Legend/Myriad and the Englander 32-NC.
Thank you but I think I should add that that's a budget of cad dollars. I will check those out though for sure.

What is your chimney situation? If you need a new chimney or have to line an old one $2000 goes real quick. Also, I'm curious about your wood consumption. How much wood is in a truckload?

Check Canadian Tire for the Englander 32-NC. You can buy the Drolet directly from Drolet Canada.

Edit, no go for Canadian Tire

Reactions: Wilcoroger
What is your chimney situation? If you need a new chimney or have to line an old one $2000 goes real quick. Also, I'm curious about your wood consumption. How much wood is in a truckload?
Chimney is outside that budget. My old one is at the end of its life and I need to replace it anyways so that's getting done regardless. If I had to estimate I would say my truck loads are a little more than half a chord of wood. It's level with the box rails at the side and pile rounded in the middle. Sticks out over the tailgate 3 to 4 feet. Sorry I can't estimate for you better but that's how I've estimated how much wood I need per winter ever since I've been burning wood.

Check Canadian Tire for the Englander 32-NC. You can buy the Drolet directly from Drolet Canada.
Thank you I have been looking at their website, also my son works there so we get a 10 percent discount. I also have $100 canadian tire money hahaha. I was looking at the englander website and it can be ordered directly from them also with free shipping.

You'll have to search around for the Englander. The Drolet is here though you may find it for less somewhere else in your area:
The Legend III has legs, the Myriad III has a pedestal. They are the same stove inside:

You'll have to search around for the Englander. The Drolet is here though you may find it for less somewhere else in your area:
The Legend has legs, the Myriad has a pedestal. They are the same stove inside:
I really like the fact that they come with a blower. But they're burn times are low. I realize at that budget I'm on the lower side of things. The tundra 2 setup cost us almost $5000. If I had my time back there would've been a catalyst stove purchased instead.

There is an englander available at home hardware. I was looking at it today but they're prices are considerably higher than anywhere else. The price there is $1859. Is there an optional blower that can be purchased for those?

Sorry it isn't actually the 32-nc. And there's a offer for a free blower with it

Screenshot_20230302_201513_Chrome.jpg

Englander got bought up by SBI just before this model came out. Performance unknown. They had issues with door warpage on their big stoves of this generation in the past. It's also unknown how well this has been sorted out. The 32-NC does not have this issue and is a real workhorse. It was selling for $998 here in the states.

Englander got bought up by SBI just before this model came out. Performance unknown. They had issues with door warpage on their big stoves of this generation in the past. It's also unknown how well this has been sorted out. The 32-NC does not have this issue and is a real workhorse. It was selling for $998 here in the states.
I'm definitely going to check into the englander more. I found it on a website for $1449 with free shipping. I'm sure I can buy a blower for it as well. Thanks a lot for the info

how big is the house? I've heard good things about the True North TN20, including long burn times.

Go to www.myfireplaceproducts.com

englander32 on sale for 1449.00

free delivery. Conditions sometimes apply depending on your location. They won't deliver here, so we have picked up a couple of stoves at the trucking company's dock.

no idea about that stove, but myfireplaceproducts will look after you. Exemplary customer service.

oh, you found it, lol. There you go.

it looks like no side shielding on that stove...check the clearances.

I'm sure I can buy a blower for it as well.
Finding a blower maybe a challenge. The 30-NC used to have a blower but it was noisy and anemic. It may take some creative crafting. Highbeam made a convective lid for his stove with an adapted blower. There is a thread on this somewhere a while back.

Note that the clearances for the 32-NC are substantial, about 22" for the side with double-wall stovepipe. It's a heat monster. The Legend III and Myriad have better shielding with side clearances of 10" with dwsp. They can be reduced even further with proper wall shielding.

Looks like it will be a corner installation if I do go with that stove. I can get the corners down to 8 inches. If I use wall protection maybe less. Ive gotten the fire chief's input on every unit yet so I'll get his input again on the next one as well.

Screenshot_20230303_054116_OneDrive.jpg

I am happy with my Drolet 1800 firebox. Biggest piece of advice is make sure you can load whatever stove you choose north south.

I have 1280 sq ft to heat. I'll be putting a mini split in the garage.
Wow, that is not a large place to be consuming so much wood. It sounds like the best investment would be in sealing leaks, adding insulation, and maybe improving windows. If the heat loss could be substantially reduced then a 3 cu ft probably would not be necessary.

Wow, that is not a large place to be consuming so much wood. It sounds like the best investment would be in sealing leaks, adding insulation, and maybe improving windows. If the heat loss could be substantially reduced then a 3 cu ft probably would not be necessary.
No that's all done. Like I said with the drolet classic I burned not even 4 chord for a full winter. It's just not a good setup for a tundra 2 furnace. The top of the furnace is about 4 or 5 inches above the floor where I'm trying to heat. The plenum for the duct work is 4 feet above that same floor. All air leaks and insulation was done 2 years ago. All my duct work has to turn down for 5.5 feet before it goes under the house. That's the major problem.

In that case, the Drolet Escape 1800 makes good sense. One caveat being that the firewood needs to be 16" or less for N/S loading. The True North TN20 should also work. It can take 18" wood loaded N/S.