Looking for recommendations on new units

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
In that case, the Drolet Escape 1800 makes good sense. One caveat being that the firewood needs to be 16" or less for N/S loading. The True North TN20 should also work. It can take 18" wood loaded N/S.
Thanks I'm gonna check into it. I really like the 32-nc, but as someone just said to me, a big stove will do a lot of smoldering in my heat able area. It's definitely something to think about. The burn time for the drolet is my biggest concern though. They always say 6-8 hours but my classic was a lot closer to 6 than 8.

Did you load the Classic E/W. That reduces the actual loaded volume due to concerns about wood rolling up against the glass. The Napoleon Timberwolf 2200 could also work. It can be loaded N/S.

Reactions: Wilcoroger
Did you load the Classic E/W. That reduces the actual loaded volume due to concerns about wood rolling up against the glass. The Napoleon Timberwolf 2200 could also work. It can be loaded N/S.
The fire box was almost perfectly square on it so I'd didn't matter which way I loaded it. Although it was loaded n/s 95 percent of the time. The only time it wasn't was when my wife loaded it up haha, but still no logs rolling or anything like that. I will check the napoleon as well. Thanks so much for all your help here, it's really appreciated.

What's your guys opinions on this unit. It says up to 14 hours burn time. Also clearance on a corner install is 5 inches without any other shielding.
Screenshot_20230303_161538_Chrome.jpg

What's your guys opinions on this unit. It says up to 14 hours burn time. Also clearance on a corner install is 5 inches without any other shielding.
Same as for the previous inquiry. Unknown if they have solved the door issue.

If you see either of these units in person, do a dollar bill test on the door to check the gasket seal.

It really seems the best fit for my application would be the 32-nc in the price range I have. Every other option in that price range doesn't compare for clearances and burn time.

In that case, the Drolet Escape 1800 makes good sense. One caveat being that the firewood needs to be 16" or less for N/S loading. The True North TN20 should also work. It can take 18" wood loaded N/S.
It really seems the best fit for my application would be the 32-nc in the price range I have. Every other option in that price range doesn't compare for clearances and burn time.
The problem is with the 32 you are probably going to be running partial loads inorder to keep from overheating the house. In that case you won't be getting max burn times anyway

The problem is with the 32 you are probably going to be running partial loads inorder to keep from overheating the house. In that case you won't be getting max burn times anyway
The drolet classic was only draft open for initial heat up. After that the stove just smoldered for the rest of the day and nights to maintain the heat. That's what I'm looking for again now. The tundra 2 smolders all day as well but it takes an awful lot of wood to get the house back up to temp because all my radiation heat is in the garage. I know what your saying though and agree with that. The only time I load a stove anyway is for the overnight burn. The drolet classic didn't last overnight, and now after going through my wood pile for the second year in a row, the tundra 2 won't last all night because it's less than prime wood.

Just for reference, my wood pile would last 3 winters in the drolet classic. With the tundra 2 I'm not sure if I will have enough to make it through thins winter.

Ideally, if not for the budget, I would recommend the PE Super LE or a cat stove from Kuma, BK, or Woodstock for this application. Both can provide long burns without too much heat. The True North TN20 is a compromise with tube secondaries and no EBT.

Ideally, if not for the budget, I would recommend the PE Super LE or a cat stove from Kuma, BK, or Woodstock for this application. Both can provide long burns without too much heat. The True North TN20 is a compromise with tube secondaries and no EBT.
My wife has been looking at the blaze kings. I have friends that have the princess. One has gotten an 18 hour burn time. I wish I didn't have so much tied into the furnace. I don't need to purchase a wood stove immediately but I am the type of person that likes to be prepared. Hopefully the tundra 2 will sell than I'll have a much higher budget. One thing for certain though, I'll have a new wood stove installed before next fall. Seriously though, thanks so much for all your help. I will check into the last couple suggestions you made for sure.

It sounds like selling the Tundra will open up options. A Blaze King Sirocco 30.2 is worth looking at and the PE Alderlea T5 while window shopping.

It sounds like selling the Tundra will open up options. A Blaze King Sirocco 30.2 is worth looking at and the PE Alderlea T5 while window shopping.
Yes for sure. I have $5,200 into the furnace and duct work. If I could get $4000 back out of it, along with my $2000 already blaze king is my first stop. I was looking at the Sirocco 20.2 as that's what suggested by my local dealer, but I am unsure it's big enough for my place. It says up to 1800 sq. ft but I always like to go a bit overkill on this stuff. I really done mind giving an extra cleaning to the chimney and that kind of stuff. I clean it once a month now. I will certainly check into the 30.2 as I didn't know it existed, maybe it wasn't suggested as my dealer has a 20.2 leftover and would like to get rid of it.

*edit*
Just looking at the specs on the 30.2 and it would seem to be the perfect fit for the application.

The larger Blaze King will not make the place hotter. It's thermostatically controlled. It just has a bigger fuel tank for longer burns. Same with the Princess.

The larger Blaze King will not make the place hotter. It's thermostatically controlled. It just has a bigger fuel tank for longer burns. Same with the Princess.
I'm am unsure of how they work. It would take a bit of getting used to I am sure. Definitely different from a conventional stove.

Yes, there are some different steps and some caveats when running a cat stove, but they shouldn't be daunting. If the stove is run a lot over many months a year, then catalyst replacement costs need to be considered. A catalytic convertor will typically last about 10-12,000 hrs. There is testing going on with cats that have a thicker coating. They may extend the cat's life by as much as 40%.

Yes, there are some different steps and some caveats when running a cat stove, but they shouldn't be daunting. If the stove is run a lot over many months a year, then catalyst replacement costs need to be considered. A catalytic convertor will typically last about 10-12,000 hrs. There is testing going on with cats that have a thicker coating. They may extend the cat's life by as much as 40%.
I hadn't thought about that honestly. I have never replaced a cat in a vehicle but I guess a cat in a stove we be in a much dirtier environment. By your assessment though, 12,000 hours is only 500 days. I'd be very lucky to get 3 years out of a cat. There's a lot to think about there.

I hadn't thought about that honestly. I have never replaced a cat in a vehicle but I guess a cat in a stove we be in a much dirtier environment. By your assessment though, 12,000 hours is only 500 days. I'd be very lucky to get 3 years out of a cat. There's a lot to think about there.
Yes 2 to 3 years is typical