Looking for simple efficient DC pull chain ceiling fan (50-60”)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Bought the 2 blade aeratron woodgeek mentioned

Installed in bedroom. The old .fan was making such a loud thump it would annoy the guests upstairs. No more thump with the new fan

Also, its silent. My wife says she hears air rushing at the highest speed, but I do not

The 4x4 is vibration isolation from the upstairs. The old fan was mounted directly to the ceiling//floor

Attachments

• IMG_2893.PNG
    IMG_2893.PNG
    54.2 KB · Views: 148
Reactions: woodgeek
I compared the 2 blade DC 50” aeratron at low speed to a speed and compared it to a 5 blade AC 50” Hampton bay. The aeratron draws 3 Watts, the Hampton bay draws 35 watts. Neither has a phantom load (at least not to the level of a kill-a-watt meter)

Run it 24 hours a day for 180 days * and that’s 13 vs 151 kWh. This is the mode that I’ll use the fan, and the difference is greater than a factor of 10. I’ll run 3 of these to even out heat distribution. For the aeratron that’s 39 kWh vs 453. For comparison, excluding the electric car, I average 300 kWh/mo.

For those interested in payback, it’s there ,but just barely, ~ $25 / year/fan. For the $ 150 difference between fan price (I buy the dc fans refurbished) , that’s a 6 year payback

So, in the effort to minimize draw on my net negative solar powered home, I’ll switch to DC fans. The reason I’m using the fans is to minimize stratification. The downstairs heat pump just was not turning on enough ( it was sitting in all that warm air near the ceiling).

Also, at 3 Watts, during the summer, I’ll stop bothering my wife to turn off the fan.. who cares.