Looking for some HELP!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dj_mike_city

Dec 10, 2020
I live in a raised ranch, with a pellet stove on the bottom floor, and baseboard oil heat throughout the house. The bottom floor is very comfortable temperature wise, and I want some of that heat upstairs without using the oil. I attached 2 photos of my floor plans (pretty crude drawings, and definitely not to scale). Can anyone offer advice on how to get better airflow throughout? There is a vent in a small hallway downstairs, and it's located inside of a closet in that hallway. I used to put a fan there to blow heat up, but it did not work out too well that way. The bedrooms upstairs do not get the heat I know the stove is capable of. I'm hoping this community can help me out.

Bottom Floor.JPG
Top Floor.JPG

Reactions: tabner
Add another small stove upstairs in the living room pointed down the hall. Moving the heat with just the stairway is difficult at best.

Add another small stove upstairs in the living room pointed down the hall. Moving the heat with just the stairway is difficult at best.
Adding a stove upstairs isn't really an option. The stove downstairs is on a brick foundation. Upstairs is all hard wood flooring, and no chimney to act as an exhaust.

Adding a stove upstairs isn't really an option. The stove downstairs is on a brick foundation. Upstairs is all hard wood flooring, and no chimney to act as an exhaust.
???????????
Hardwood flooring - build or buy a Hearth pad!!
No Chimney - install one !!

Maybe a downward blowing vent along the wall behind your stove, coming from the upper floor. It's easier to push cool air downward, and with your other vent, that might start a convection current between both floors, since your stairs are too far away to be used for such.

In my home, the heat really started coming up from the basement not when I blew it upstairs with a fan, but when I added another to send cool air downstairs.