Looking to add a woodburning insert.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rsleblanc

Hearth Supporter
Feb 17, 2010
Western Ma.
Hi,I'm new to Hearth.com. We want to ad an insert to our 1100 sq ft ranch. I like the Lopi and Avalon inserts. The local Lopi dealer says The Answer will heat our home. The fireplace is located on an inside wall right in the center of the house. The house was built in the 60's and has 6" insulation in the attic. I have a cealing hight of 7'7" and there is a 9ft picture window on the wall opposite the fireplace. It's a little drafty near the window. I don't plan on heating 24/7. Just set thermostat at 55-60 and run insert when we are home. Will the answer do the job or should we move up to the revere? We have an old boiler and wife doesn't want to replace it. It works fine but,gas bills are expensive. I'm also thinking of the Avalon Rainier. A little smaller than the Revere. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you. I forgot to mention we live in Ma. Thanks again.

Welcome, rsleblanc. Is your fireplace masonry? What are the FP dimensions? Is house open floor plan or have tight hallways into cubbyhole rooms? If you can take pics and post - all the better for more accurate answers.

In general, you should go with the largest firebox possible that meets your other criteria (cost, aesthetics, brand etc.). You can always build a small fire in a large insert so you don't overheat your house. You'll want the extra heat and longer burn times of the larger insert on very cold days.

+ 1 on previous comment. Many-a-time I'm glad for the extra size in my 2.3 cu ft insert that's heating about 1100 sq. ft. Running a stove full-out seems to take considerably more time/energy. Also, it still takes an hour for me to get the house back up to warm temps after overnight or at-work burns where stove & house temps drop. With a smaller stove, you can maintain that amount of sq. footage, but not build up to cozy temps.
However, the larger Revere extends into the room--which is good for radiant heat but not good if your non-combustible hearth don't extend far enough to meet clearances. Accommodations can be made but add to the expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.