Looking to install a wood stove...Have a few questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yeahboy33

Feb 12, 2015
Northwestern Pennsylvania
Hey guys new to the forums, and just wanted to say hi!

Ok, now to the meat and potatoes of this post.

I live in a ranch style manufactured home that has a fire place installed. I'm looking to remove the fire place and install a mobile home approved wood stove.

There is no attic in the house. What i am wondering is if the existing chimney can be used for the stove?

I would like to keep the existing chimney location, since I can get the clearance i need, and also be able to vent the stove straight up and out without any bends or offsets in the chimney.

Also would the chimney height need to be changed to get a proper draft for the stove? The fireplace drafts fine.

Any help or information would be appreciated. Also the stove wont be going in until spring.

Prefab fireplace pipe and a chimney for a wood stove are usually two very different animals. It is also most likely an 8" flue while most stoves require a 6" pipe. Hence, it is highly unlikely that you can reuse the current pipe. Should you find a label on your chimney that would help to say yes or no for sure. Still, you won't need to drill more holes in your home.

Regarding height: Most stoves require at least 15 ft of flue but there are some that draft well with less. One brand to consider in that regard would be Pacific Energy as they seem to draft well even on shorter chimneys. Mine has only a 13 ft liner and I have no problems with draft. I think all of their stoves are mobile home approved but better check.

Do you have any split wood yet sitting in your yard to dry over the summer? Dry wood is critical to get your stove to function properly and safely.

Thanks for the reply. Yes i believe your right on the 8" flue size. Ill have to double check it. My main concern is I would rather not have to mess with the liner where it comes out of the roof.

If it turns out that the flue is 8" would I be able to just drop a 6" pipe down through it to connect to the stove? That way the old chimney remains unchanged but the stove vents through the 6" running through it?

Also i see you mentioned Pacific energy for a stove. I was actually looking into a US Stove brand. This is actually the one I was looking at http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/sto...m-wood-stove-with-blower-medium-epa-certified

Any info on them would be great to have if you know of any reasons not to go with them or if they are alright.

And yes I have some wood seasoning as we speak.. I can get wood for days from work too from standing dead trees and alot of Ash.

Some more modern ZC fireplaces use high-temp class A chimney, but that has to be confirmed if your ZC has this. Even if it does have 8" class A HT, the issue that most mobiles face is a short chimney so this compounds the oversize flue and provided a weak draft. Most modern wood stoves will not be happy with inadequate draft and will perform badly. Typically they want around 15' of flue. Thus you will get the best results by putting in a 6" class A chimney, connecting the stove with double-wall stove pipe, and selecting a stove that will work on a shorter chimney. A low cost stove that will work with a 12ft chimney is the Pacific Energy True North TN19.

Per the manual (which is available at the link the OP provided above) for that stove, the flue size is 6" and the minimum chimney height is 12'.

I second the issue that you *probably* will not be able to reuse the ZC chimney since it will probably not be rated for the wood stove temps. I know I couldn't reuse mine for this reason.

Good luck.

OK Thanks for them info guys. One more question though. Ive been looking at pellet stoves also, would a pellet stove be able to vent through an existing pre fab chimney, or be able to run a 3" vent through it, without having to change the height. The current height is about 10' or so. I can start a new thread in the Pellet Mill section if this can be here since the topic is changing.

Yes, it would be possible to run a 3" liner up the zc flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.