Looking to replace Vermont Casting Radiance Gas Stove....replacement valve(Honeywell) not available.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SteveW

Sep 29, 2020
Troy, MI
We need to replace our Vermont Casting (Model RDV40; Serial No. N1766) gas stove because it needs a new valve (Honeywell) and it appears these are no longer available and there is not a conversion available for this model. Currently looking at looking at Lopi Greenfield and Jotul Portland. Does anyone have any experience with either of these and make any suggestions and/or recommendations? Is one brand better than the other? We also looked at Regency Hampton H35E but think that Lopi and Jotul and better quality? Any opinion thoughts on that?

robert shaw? hard to believe you need to trash the stove because of a gas valve.

How did you determine the gas valve was "bad?"
I had a service person come to repair and he determined that it was a bad valve. He took the stove apart and cleaned the burners, and the small brass part with a hole in it(don't remember what it is called). He spent a couple of hours working on it. The stove would light with a good flame but then, the flame would go down to hardly nothing. He then determined that a replacement valve, for my model was not available. I have talked with several different gas stove sellers and searched different gas stove part suppliers and all have said that there isn't a replacement available for the model stove that I have. I have been searching since late last winter. Believe me, I didn't want to replace this stove.

Reactions: Dg0712
I had a service person come to repair and he determined that it was a bad valve. He took the stove apart and cleaned the burners, and the small brass part with a hole in it(don't remember what it is called). He spent a couple of hours working on it. The stove would light with a good flame but then, the flame would go down to hardly nothing. He then determined that a replacement valve, for my model was not available. I have talked with several different gas stove sellers and searched different gas stove part suppliers and all have said that there isn't a replacement available for the model stove that I have. I have been searching since late last winter. Believe me, I didn't want to replace this stove.
What stove did you end up going with and are you happy with it? I am looking at the same and also trying to decide between millivolt or electronic ignition