Looks like I need a screen on new chimney cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

webfish

Hearth.com LLC
Staff member
Oct 18, 2013
Minnesota
bird.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cutie! Issue the eviction notice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Don't know. It was good timing I bought the sooteater today. Thought I heard something earlier then it went away. Used a net to catch and release.

That's a Blue Bird. I end up with them in the stove every few years. They are a cavity nester, so the chimney is what they like.

Reactions: webby3650
Screens suck! During burn season at least, so if you must temporarily screen your chimney be sure to remove the filter in the fall. Kinda defeats the purpose of the sooteater.

That's a Blue Bird. I end up with them in the stove every few years. They are a cavity nester, so the chimney is what they like.

Yes, I have a couple blue bird houses so they are around. They are a good looking bird.

Last edited:
Screens suck! During burn season at least, so if you must temporarily screen your chimney be sure to remove the filter in the fall. Kinda defeats the purpose of the sooteater.
I ran a screen on my BK all season, no problems. With non-cats there's rarely an issue, if burning properly anyway.

I ran a screen on my BK all season, no problems. With non-cats there's rarely an issue, if burning properly anyway.

You see more flues of course but on this forum, despite proper burning, the screens are notorious for plugging up and causing problems in the middle of the winter. My personal chimney above a hearthstone non-cat would plug up like crazy with brown crunchy stuff above a very clean flue. It's a lousy idea to put a filter in the stack.

Reactions: bcrtops
You see more flues of course but on this forum, despite proper burning, the screens are notorious for plugging up and causing problems in the middle of the winter. My personal chimney above a hearthstone non-cat would plug up like crazy with brown crunchy stuff above a very clean flue. It's a lousy idea to put a filter in the stack.
I only put one on because I was getting bluebirds down that flue. I decided to leave it there as a test. Yes, it is possibe to run a BK with a screen and have success! That being said, if my roof was difficult to navigate I wouldn't risk it..

I ran for about 8 yrs. with the stock DuraTech screen in the cap. No issues at all until a few years back when I burned through a cord of damp maple. That plugged the cap in a couple months.

I have ran a 1/4" hardware mesh screen for several years now. No visual signs of any accumulation to date.