Looks like my season is over :(

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

darktower007

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2018
Chattanooga
I haven’t burned in a week and it looks like it will be in the 60’s for the next two weeks.
We may get a few more cold spells in Tennessee but it’s not looking good.
Oh well... guess it’s time to keep stacking wood and getting ready for next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: kennyp2339
I'm south of you about 100 miles. We burn on the 40-50 degree nights, even if we have to open some windows. Keeps the house drier and the natural gas bill lower.

I'm south of you about 100 miles. We burn on the 40-50 degree nights, even if we have to open some windows. Keeps the house drier and the natural gas bill lower.
I think you missed a zero on the mileage lol. I do that as well when temps allow. Nice to get fresh air into the house and be warm while doing it.

I came through Chattanooga a few days ago. It was chilly that day! And lots of rain. The idiots were wadding up cars/trucks on the interstate. Someday I am coming there to check out the historical sights etc. Lots of us wish we had weather like you!

I haven’t burned in a week and it looks like it will be in the 60’s for the next two weeks.
Oh well... guess it’s time to keep stacking wood and getting ready for next year!

The only people I know who are (a little) happy to see winter come and (a little) sad to see it go own wood stoves :)

It got down to 35 last light and the house was 66 this morning ( heat pump came on a few times) so I lit what could be the last fire of the season. Red buds and daffodils are blooming here. Every couple years we get cold snap end of March early April so I might get another fire or two but definitely spring time here. 601D5CB2-AA9A-4060-8697-796F36E6E7B8.png

oh you poor thing. I keep eye balling my last 2 rows of wood in the basement knowing they probably wont last me til spring and i'll probably end up having to carry more in from the back yard if the snow ever melts enough for me to get to it. Im going thru a lot of wood this year for some reason i aint quite figured out.

It may not be over yet. I live in upstate South Carolina and we got a hard freeze in late April 2018. I remember because I had to replace all of my tomato plants. Home depot gladly sold me more. But last year was cold and I burned about twice as much last year as I have this year.

We had school canceled for a whole week strait last year. Snow and ice had to be cleared off residential streets. We moved from Maine so watching the calamity that ensued was quite entertaining. I do remember a 260$ electric bill that month and a cold house and pregnant wife huddled by a space heater. I miss a real winter but only for about a week. Sending the kids outside barefoot 12 months a year is just easier.

Im going thru a lot of wood this year for some reason i aint quite figured out.

Seems to be a somewhat common theme this year. I'm going through a lot more this year as well, I'm already at or past how much I used all of last year.

Time to start analyzing the weather compared to last year to figure this out. Seems warmer this year with a couple of cold snaps.

Did a basic analysis, here's what I've found at least for my area.
  • Oct: 45% colder than last year
  • Nov: 14% colder than last year
  • Dec: 19% warmer than last year (had a bad cold snap between xmas and NY in '17)
  • Jan: 5% colder than last year
All of the months combined and it's been 2.5% colder this winter Oct-Jan.

Perhaps we burned more than we thought/normally do in October? Now that I think about it, I think that's true here...the last couple of years I've started burning consistently close to Thanksgiving. Started much earlier this season.

We had a real late / warm start to winter here, but now it is going on longer than usual. Almost no snow this year, and aside from that one big chunk of polar air, it's been a warm winter.

I doubt I've used a full cord of my stacks burning 24/7, but I was burning deadfall stuff right out of the woods up until the middle of december.

Did a basic analysis, here's what I've found at least for my area.
  • Oct: 45% colder than last year
  • Nov: 14% colder than last year
  • Dec: 19% warmer than last year (had a bad cold snap between xmas and NY in '17)
  • Jan: 5% colder than last year
All of the months combined and it's been 2.5% colder this winter Oct-Jan.

Perhaps we burned more than we thought/normally do in October? Now that I think about it, I think that's true here...the last couple of years I've started burning consistently close to Thanksgiving. Started much earlier this season.
Cold November this year, we had out biggest snow of the year so far in November. I usually dont burn til Thanksgiving either but not this year.

Now that's just wrong. Winter should come and stay long enough to get tired of loading the stove!

Just north of you. Sothern Indiana.
55 for the high today, 30's for the low and cold front moving in for the weekend. Fired stove late this evening.
Wood in for the weekend, ready to be lazy.