Looks like someone has had enough with their woodstove experience

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
They are selling "Hearthstone Heritage woodstove 55,000 btu, heats 1900 sq ft also a Brave 26 ton log splitter, with left over wood from this year. 3000.00"

Sounds like they want all their money back. Its a sad thing!

gzecc said:
They are selling "Hearthstone Heritage woodstove 55,000 btu, heats 1900 sq ft also a Brave 26 ton log splitter, with left over wood from this year. 3000.00"

Probably from burning same year wood. "If it's going to be that much trouble, forget it" is a common sentiment when they realize wood actually needs to be seasoned.

LLigetfa said:
gzecc said:

Probably from burning same year wood. "If it's going to be that much trouble, forget it" is a common sentiment when they realize wood actually needs to be seasoned.

And the sad thing is it's only "that much trouble" for one year where you get ahead on the wood supply. After that, it's just a matter of having the room for the extra wood. Now that I'm ahead, I still only cut about 1 years at a time.

pen

gzecc said:
Sounds like they want all their money back.

I bet they have a lot more than 3 grand in their wood burning experiment. Anyway you look at it, going from having a fire once in a while to heating with wood is a big step up in effort that can quickly overwhelm the romance of the wood burning experience.

If they paid msrp for the stove, that's pretty close to all they are going to get back, so it's a free splitter and wood for next year. The first dealer we talked to had the Heritage with enamel at just above $3k Depending on how much removal they are doing, that may include the chimney too.. they won't get 1/2 their money back. and they probably have install costs too. It's to bad the guy probably has no one to help him out and give him guidance. I am lucky that two out of three brothers, and my dad heat with wood, so I can ask questions as needed.

But I agree, it can be overwhelming. I grew up with wood heat, but it had been 30+ years since I lived with it full time. I have a lot more respect for what my dad went through to keep us/mom warm now. (and still does, at 73) No big deal to me, but I have friends who when I told them on the coldest nights I get up and reload at 4am, they knew right then and there wood heat wasn't for them. and they are both retired soldiers. I pointed out that actually being down here late at night just watching the flames is very soothing, and some nights might have been my best rest of the night..lol

Ya, I had no idea what I was getting into this first year burning wood. Never grew up around it or anything. Initially thought it'd be a little ambiance thing with a cozy living room on those winter evenings. I haven't turned on the heat pump for six weeks now.
It has been a BeeOtch of a learning curve, but I'm a long way from where I started.
3 1/2 cords are seasoning for the years to come.

It really is sad to see someone try wood burning for just a year and give up. But most folks just do not have anyone with experience to help them and to guide them in the proper ways. So now they will tell all their friends how bad wood heat is and turn even more off to the great benefits of wood burning. A vicious cycle.

Backwoods Savage said:
It really is sad to see someone try wood burning for just a year and give up. But most folks just do not have anyone with experience to help them and to guide them in the proper ways. So now they will tell all their friends how bad wood heat is and turn even more off to the great benefits of wood burning. A vicious cycle.

I agree, but only to a point. The person selling all their wood heat stuff is allowing someone else to "get the whole 9 yards set-up" for a fraction of the retail price.
Letting the equipment go unused would be a worse outcome. Also, if wood heat were easy, everyone would be doing it and it would be impossible to scrounge and prohibitively expensive to buy firewood.
I actually advised my brother against wood heat. His wife was raised in a suburban household of girls and is pretty bug-a-phobic. All it would take would be one spider or a couple of ants and he would be on his own it terms of heating. So, a lot of us rely on the fact that 97% of Americans don't want to heat with wood.

And yet, here in Michigan at least, there are thousands of cords of firewood that could be had for a song and dance or less. It just rots. I'd sure like to see some folks taking advantage of the trees that need to be cut or trees that are down. Maybe it is different coming from a family that heated only with wood; well, us and the neighbors too. Back then we did not see dead trees in fencerows nor did we see so many downed trees and limbs when a storm went through. They simply got cut before there was a problem. It seems now even the electric companies won't cut a dead tree or limb until it has taken the power lines down. That is wasteful to say the least. A little prevention can save a lot of dollars in fixing.

I do agree though that there definitely are folks who are not cut out to burn firewood.

gzecc, It is unfortunate those people stopped burning before they had ventured less than half way through the wood burning learning curve. The first year can be difficult if you let it get you down. In my opinion the first year must involve a continual reminder that there is no need to be a slave to the wood burning experience. Cut and split when you are able. Purchase seasoned wood if you must. If the fire goes dead during the night, so what! Let the furnace come on. You do not HAVE to get up at 2:00 AM to put wood in the stove. The furnace will fill in just fine until you rise up the next morning.

Enjoy the activity and the work - but mostly, enjoy the fire. Slow down if you feel like you are working yourself to a frazzle. Tomorrow is another day. Hard work and the wood are very patient-they will wait for you. Burn only on weekends if you must. If you are able to enjoy the warmth and romance of relaxing wood fire only on weekends, so be it. What a great way to end one work week and start the next.

Perhaps the couple referred to in your post will have seller's remorse and re-think their decision. I hope so. John_M

My thought is they are sure short sighted. By that I mean they were all set up and just having it for power outages is a big benefit. I can see it now they are without power for an extended time and the wife says "it's your fault we sold the stove".

Hmmm . . . I had just the opposite first year experience when I "came back" to burning wood.

I learned that with new tech I could get long burns . . . and didn't have to wake up at midnight or 3 a.m. to reload the stove to keep the fire burning.

I learned with new tech I could burn cleanly . . . and having to clean out the chimney every month or risk a chimney fire is not something I absolutely have to do (although I do it anyway.)

I learned that running a woodstove does not mean having a house that smells like smoke and woodchips everywhere . . . thanks to a properly set up stove and simple things like canvas carriers.

I learned that running a woodstove is not just a great way to heat a home . . . but you get the side benefit with newer stoves of being able to watch the fire and enjoy the sights and sounds.

I learned that sizing a stove properly to the home and not just installing any old stove because it's free or cheap means the difference between staying perfectly warm . . . and not freezing one's butt off or alternatively making one's home into a sauna and having it hot enough to kill off the fish in the fish tank.

I learned that the "chore" of cutting, splitting and stacking wood is not a chore . . . but a nice excuse to get outdoors, see nature, "exercise" a bit, relieve some stress (I mean let's face it the monotonous stacking or hearty whacking of a round with a splitting ax or maul is really therapeutic) . . . and in the process when you do this on free weekends or evenings you realize you can get a lot of wood put up pretty quickly . . . and come to the point where you want to work with wood all the time . . . sometimes to the point of not doing other necessary chores like remodeling the house.

I learned that one does not have to be a slave to the stove . . . that's why I have an oil boiler as a back up. If I'm sick or just lazy and want to sleep in I can let the boiler kick on . . . although over time I have found that I secretly enjoy not having the boiler kick on . . . not because I can't afford the small cost of oil, but rather because I know by keeping the fire going I have control over my own finances.

I have remembered that in the past the one time I was always happiest to have a woodstove is when the power goes out . . . sure I may not be able to watch The Amazing Race or Survivor . . . but my house is still toasty warm while others are worried about frozen pipes . . . and I always have the fire to watch for my evening's entertainment.

Great post, Jake. It pretty much sums up how I feel about the stoves here, too, esp. the part about not being a slave to the stove. I hope someone snaps up the "starter kit" and puts it to good use.

(I'm contemptuous of women who're afraid of bugs, snakes, or rodents. I know it's not fair, but if you make the time to check 'em out they're not that scarey, they're actually pretty cool!)

wow i cant imagine giving up so early, is it possible they are getting a bigger stove and a bigger log splitter and have become conisour's and want better wood? i dont know all the details but this story sure hits home with me. pete

Status
Not open for further replies.