loosing heat somewhere

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hammmitc

Dec 1, 2007
Perkiomenville, PA
I have a fireplace insert with blowers in a brick fireplace with a brick exterior chimney but for some reason I am not generating the heat like I used to in the house. I am using a Quadrafire 5100i, so I know the stove is large enough for 2700 sq ft. The house is 2x6 construction with Anderson windows. I used to be able to cook my self out of the house that I had to open the windows. Even the room that the fireplace is in does not get super hot anymore.

I am using a block off plate (with insulation on top of it) and use a SS liner on the stove. The only thing I can thing I can think of is the high temp caulk started coming out of the space between the block off plate and the chimney. That is only maybe 1/4" around to entire pipe, could I loose that much heat through that little opening? That is the only thing that I could think of that has changed.

Only thing I could think of was adding high temp insulation to the back wall of the fireplace between the insert and the outside wall. Other than that I am at a loss why I am not heating like I used to.

thanks in advance

Two things that might also be variable. Is the wood currently being burned really dry all the way through? Is the flue cap screen clean?

^ Fuel & draft first things to check. Rick

the wood is dry, and the stove is getting as hot as before. I have to climb up on the roof to check the screen. Why would it make a difference about the screen being clean?

A plugged screen acts like a flue damper. It suppresses draft.

If the stove is getting as hot as before, what temp is it running at (measured where)? Could it be that it's just a lot colder outside and the stove needs more fuel?

I have an excellent draft, 25 ft chimney, will go up and check the screen.

It is not that cold here today about 32F, 25 with the windchill.

I am using an infared thermometer and checking the top plate on the insert, I try to keep it 500-700degF.

Sounds like you are doing everything correctly. That is puzzling. Is there an upstairs attic trap door or other possible heat exit point that has been recently used?

attic trap door has not been used in months, also have 2ft of insulation in the attic.

Let me check some things out, thanks for the help

Had a problem like yours with my quad it was the blower fans built up with dust and wasn't moving air. Remove the fan assy. and blow out.

hammmitc said:
attic trap door has not been used in months, also have 2ft of insulation in the attic.

Let me check some things out, thanks for the help

Good suggestion on checking the blowers. As to the attic door, is it insulated and gasketed for a tight seal?

it is insulated but no gasket, all it is, is a 2'x3' opening in our closet the opening is covered with plywood and screwed in place with insulation on the other side. That is the only opening to the attic.

Could be fine. The best way to tell is to hold a smoking incense stick or a candle near the edges to see if there is a draft.

How do the blower blades look?

Are you operating the stove the same way as before? I find that if I open up the OAK air too much, I get less heat into the room and more heat up the chimney. Seems counter-intuitive to turn down the stove to get more heat but I think I finally got this through to the wife.

This may be obvious, but if you're in PA I'm guessing you've got a good amount of snow right now. Maybe take a peek at the roof to see if it is melting off, and where? I've got a couple of areas that are slated for more insulation this summer, and they look like heat sinks with this snow, and the areas with good insulation are still blanketed. Even if insulation isn't the problem, that will tell you where the heat is escaping, so long as its up and not through a wall/door/window. Just a thought.

I doubt your problem is with an air leak in the house. You said the room the stove is in isn't even getting warm. This leads me to believe the problem is related to the stove itself, the wood, or behind the insert. If you're 100% sure your wood is not the issue, I'd next look at the stove. When was the last time you thoroughly cleaned the stove? I'd start by completely cleaning out every inch of the interior of the stove. Vacuum everything, blow it out, and then vacuum it again. I'd pull the blower(s) and completely clean it/them and also blow out the air passages. Get everything clean, clean, clean. Next I'd pull the insert out and check the block off plate, make sure it's well sealed. While you have the stove out, clean the exterior of the insert and insulated the inside of the fireplace before reinstalling the insert.

The only other thing you might want to check is your draft. If you're getting too much draft, you could be pulling your heat right up the flue. If this is the case, install a flue damper.

After you do these things, and verify your wood is good and dry, I think you'll find your room will be nice and toasty again.

I thimk I might have too much draft because I run the stove with the damper almost all the way closed or it will over fire. The only prolem is I can't install a damper in there because I don't have enough space between the top of the stove and the block off plate. I will try and clean the fans good tomorrow, the blades look fine and they don't make any noise like one was going bad, will keep looking it is something stupid, just have to find it.

Does the stove have an OAK or does it draw inside air?

Generally, inside air has less pressure than outside air, so over-firing might mean you have gasket leaks that upset the delicate balance of primary versus secondary air. Does you stove have separate primary and secondary air controls? A gasket leak can mimmick the symptom of too much primary air.

what are you getting for burn times?

gaskets are in good shape.

I can get about 7-8 hours burn time.

Cleaned the fans today, feels like I am getting more air flow, will see what the temps do.

thanks all for the suggestions and help

Status
Not open for further replies.