LOPI 380/440... Smokes out the door when opened.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trailblazer

Hearth Supporter
Mar 10, 2009
Shelton, Wa
A friend has a LOPI 380/440 that billows smoke out the door everytime you open it. Hot-startup-cool down, all the time(except of course when there is no fire or hot ash and coals...) LOL. His stove has a bottom damper rod and an upper Flue (not sure if its called that or not, but if closed redirects the smoke around some baffles and tubes) We cleaned out the firebox of all ash, and the front edge at bottom of door opening. The damper and what i believe to be flue are both moving open and closed just fine. The stove has been installed for several years and just started doing this so i done think it is a draft issue. On the front edge just inside the door is a little "box" of sorts that wiggles just a bit. It sits between two small baffles that i believe are for the damper. Does anyone know what the "box" is and how to remove it for closer inspection? I removed the fire brick on the bootom and couldnt see how it would come out. The only thing i can think of is the plate that the damper rod goes through. It is riveted in place though, so i cant get in there easily. I look forward to any help you guys have! I love this place and i just found it tonight, look to see me here more frequently!

TB - the key (and i was looking for it before I even started reading the post) is your statement: "The stove has been installed for several years and just started doing this..."

Get up on the roof and look for the chimney cap to be plugged w/ ash and/or creosote. Assuming that's a wire-mesh type cap and it's all caked up, just carefully remove it & clean it. Reinstallation is recommended, tho lots of folks leave 'em off. Peer down into the chimney w/ a good flashlight and ensure there are no blockages below, but most of the time it's the cap.

If you do see the blockage is down below, or you just can't tell where the blockage is, then your friend either needs a good thorough chimney cleaning, or you guys have to go back and find some manner of mirrors and camera settings to observe the flue damper setup to ensure it is opening fully before opening the door. Smoke is perfectly happy taking the "less resistance" path - and having the door open with the damper shut gives it just that...

Good luck to both of you, and welcome to the Hearth!

davzierse said:
Have you heard about a NEW product called the DRAW COLLAR. It eliminates almost all smoke issues. Check it out. drawcollar.com

Uh, do you have any other advice, opinions or information to contribute to this forum other than constantly referencing this drawcollar.com site? Six posts and all six are about this product.

yep riffing on Edthedawg advice...it's mostly always a clogged chimney or cap problem.

Sometimes you can prevent that from happening by burning more on the hotter side 400+...but with a real tall chimney smoke will cool in there and that's that.

FFJ - looks like some administrative intervention took care of that "issue"... ;)

My apologies. Just trying to respond to some forums with cocerns that I thought it would help. I will lay low. Thanks for the understanding

Status
Not open for further replies.