Lopi Answer or Lopi Evergreen Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Knox817

Aug 15, 2022
Paris, Tx
Looking to get either the Lopi Answer or Lopi Evergreen insert for my fireplace. My home is only 950 square feet so the Answer should be enough but I’m leaning towards the Evergreen for its larger firebox and bypass damper. I’m just afraid the Evergreen will burn us out of the house. Any suggestions?

It all depends on the house design, layout, insulation, etc. If the fireplace room is part of an open floorplan, then I might go for the Evergreen and build smaller fires during milder weather. If the fireplace room is fairly separate or closed off by a regular doorway, then the Answer would be a better fit.

Reactions: Knox817
It all depends on the house design, layout, insulation, etc. If the fireplace room is part of an open floorplan, then I might go for the Evergreen and build smaller fires during milder weather. If the fireplace room is fairly separate or closed off by a regular doorway, then the Answer would be a better fit.
Thank you! The fireplace room is part of an open floor plan and the home is newer and well insulated with spray foam.

Last edited:
With very tight insulation, the Answer may be plenty then.

With very tight insulation, the Answer may be plenty then.
Thank you so much for the info. I am new to this and it really helps. The fireplace is on an exterior wall, if that makes a difference. We won’t have a blower since our electricity is pretty unreliable in the winter. Lopi claims that no blower is needed for their inserts as they feature natural convection heat.

Either way you probably want to hook up the blower. It just moves the heat out so much better. All the inserts can be burned without running a blower but they really are designed to to run one.

Yes, I recommend getting the blower, even it if is not used full time.

My Answer will keep a 1250 square foot reasonably well-insulated older home at 68-70 degrees until the temperature drops below 30 degrees. Then the rooms farthest from the stove will start to cool more. I can't imagine needing more than an Answer for a home in Texas smaller than mine.

Looking to get either the Lopi Answer or Lopi Evergreen insert for my fireplace. My home is only 950 square feet so the Answer should be enough but I’m leaning towards the Evergreen for its larger firebox and bypass damper. I’m just afraid the Evergreen will burn us out of the house. Any suggestions?
I have a LOPI Evergreen insert in the fireplace in the living room. Prior to this, I had a LOPI Revere in the fireplace. The Revere ran great for 23 years, after which we elected to replace it. On the patio, which is seasonal for the most part and rarely used, and the door is kept closed, we have a LOPI Endeavor. This stove runs absolutely great. It is freestanding. We bought the Evergreen on the strength and performance of the Endeavor.
BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!! The Evergreen is hard to start and does not perform nowhere's near what the other two do. It is extremely hard to get a decent flame or heat out of the stove. I have a great fireplace with an exceptional draft. The stovepipe goes directly to the atmosphere, so the draft is unbelievable. As soon as the door is closed on the Evergreen, the fire is choked off and the fire dies. I have heard of this problem with this stove on other forums too. Most of the time, the door must be cracked to keep the heat and flame up,
My handle is KILN DRIED because that's what we burn. Pay extra, but well worth it.
We kick ourselves every day for buying the LOPI EVERGREEN. Hope you do better and hope we saved you some heartaches.

I have a LOPI Evergreen insert in the fireplace in the living room. Prior to this, I had a LOPI Revere in the fireplace. The Revere ran great for 23 years, after which we elected to replace it. On the patio, which is seasonal for the most part and rarely used, and the door is kept closed, we have a LOPI Endeavor. This stove runs absolutely great. It is freestanding. We bought the Evergreen on the strength and performance of the Endeavor.
BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!! The Evergreen is hard to start and does not perform nowhere's near what the other two do. It is extremely hard to get a decent flame or heat out of the stove. I have a great fireplace with an exceptional draft. The stovepipe goes directly to the atmosphere, so the draft is unbelievable. As soon as the door is closed on the Evergreen, the fire is choked off and the fire dies. I have heard of this problem with this stove on other forums too. Most of the time, the door must be cracked to keep the heat and flame up,
My handle is KILN DRIED because that's what we burn. Pay extra, but well worth it.
We kick ourselves every day for buying the LOPI EVERGREEN. Hope you do better and hope we saved you some heartaches.
This sounds like something is wrong. Most people have been happy with the Evergreen. Has the bypass been checked to make sure it is opening for startup? If the flue cap has a screen, has it been checked for plugging? How tall is the liner on the insert?

Agree with @begreen that it sounds like there's something wrong. I have a new Evergreen and it works swimmingly.

Reactions: Jaison
I have the answer, and it took me a little while to get use to it but I sort of have it figured out. On first start of the day I use lots of kindling and just kindling, three pieces of fat wood and a bunch of kindling I split into pieces myself, light it with a blow torch and normally I am now able to close the door right away, but I leave it cracked open for about 2 minutes to really let the fire get going, then close it.

I leave it cracked open for about 2 minutes to really let the fire get going, then close it.
This is what I do every cold start. It's in the manual, actually. If I close the door too soon, it will often go out. It's a simple process though. Not hard to start by any means. It will cook us out of we even have a couple splits at a time going all day. It puts out plenty of heat.
Sounds like @KILN DRIED may have not noticed there's an air control below the firebox?

Last edited: