Lopi Berkshire Problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan903w

Mar 13, 2014
Pa
I have a lopi berkshire stove and the flame burns extremely low in it. If you remove the glass when the stove is lit the flame goes up to about 6" for its current 2-3" status this is with the burner set on high. Any suggestionson what my problem might be?

It is vented into an existing 6" masonry chimney with a 4" aluminum liner kit to the top of the chimenyi have roughly 25' of liner installed

Ok. Did they pack insulation around the liner anywhere in the masonry?
The unit may not be getting enough combustion air.
How long has this low flame issue been happening?
From day 1, or is it a new development?

]Ok. Did they pack insulation around the liner anywhere in the masonry?
The unit may not be getting enough combustion air.
How long has this low flame issue been happening?
From day 1, or is it a new development?[/quote]
There is no insulation in the chimney anyhere. I bought the stove used and was told it worked great. This is the first time I hooked it up

There is no insulation in the chimney anyhere. I bought the stove used and was told it worked great. This is the first time I hooked it up

I am burning NG it has a .0625 orifice in it. Also the igniter for the stove doesn't I had to manually light the pilot

Have you removed the burner & burner orifice & cleaned the gas line behind that orifice? It may be partially blocked.

I have not tried removing and the orifice and line and tried cleaning them. What do you recommend I use to clean the line and orifice and also what do you think is the problem with the igniter I know that it creates voltage when you push it but you do not see a spark at the pilot.

A 1/2" box wrench or deep socket should remove the orifice. Clean behind it with a dry Q-tip or pipe cleaner.
Check the igniter wire to see if it's tightly plugged into the igniter body & the sparker in the pilot assembly.
If you can get a small mirror into the valve cavity, try seeing where the spark (if there is one) is going.
If there is a break in the sheathing, the spark will go to ground through that break.
You may have to turn the lights out to see the spark. If it IS jumping to ground, try sealing the sheathing
with a small piece of electrical tape.
If there is no visual spark, unplug the wire from the igniter body & put a finger tip on the end where the wire was.
Depress the button, & you should feel a small jolt. That will tell you if the igniter works.
If it doesn't spark, replace it...

Status
Not open for further replies.