Lopi control board and Combustion fan speed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RetireeBob

Nov 30, 2008
Southern NH
I have a Lopi Yankee insert. It is installed with an OAK with a vertical run of 14 ft. The vent run is vertical for 18 feet with insulated 4 inch flexible stainless steel pipe.
I have programmed the control board for the small pellet stove. The reason for this is that it seems to give me better control of the air and flame. I do not have to readjust it when changing combustion levels.
With the board programmed for large stoves, which the Yankee insert is, I had to readjust it each time I changed combustion levels or I get either glass that dirties quickly (and soot) or a blowtorch.
My concern is, is there some future potential problem I may be causing or is there a safety concern?

I can only offer a laymans opinion on the safety factor, I can't see where a problem would arise but I didn't design the stove either. However it's normal to have to change the air when changing heat output settings.

RetireeBob said:
......With the board programmed for large stoves, which the Yankee insert is, I had to readjust it each time I changed combustion levels or I get either glass that dirties quickly (and soot) or a blowtorch.

Maybe your making too drastic change in the air control for the change in heat setting. For example, if I went from a Med-low setting on the heat (2nd green light) to med-high (2nd yellow light), I probably wouldn't pull the air control out more than maybe 1/2 mark (like from 1 1/2 to 2). More than that, and i get the "blowtorch" you mentioned.

BTW.....even at the stove's dirtiest, I've never had the air control out farther than 2 1/4 on the 2nd yellow heat setting.

Just my 2 cents.

Right after I posted, my neighbor came over, he looked at my burn and said "you need different pellets". He brought over a bag of Westwood and, after clearing out my hopper, dumped them in, programmed my board back to large pellets, fired it up and set the air at about 2 and it runs perfectly. No sooting up, no blowtorch and I dont even have to touch the air control when changing heat settings.
So now I know why softwood pellets are so popular. I have only 4 1/2 tons of Greenway hardwood pellets left. Based on my experience, I wouldn't recommend them to anybody.
By the way, this Lopi doesn't like to keep the fire lit on the second yellow light. I notice, on all heat settings, the auger doesn't always drop pellets in when the auger light is on. Fines are removed and there is no flapper on the pellet drop.
Many thanks for your input, it helps me think straight.

RetireeBob said:
.....By the way, this Lopi doesn't like to keep the fire lit on the second yellow light. I notice, on all heat settings, the auger doesn't always drop pellets in when the auger light is on. Fines are removed and there is no flapper on the pellet drop.....

I have NO problem running my Astoria on 2nd green, or 1st green for that matter, but you must remember to close the air intake a little, or you'll burn the few pellets that do drop too fast. On 1st green, I probably have my air control at 1- 1 1/4.

And as for pellets not dropping everytime, that happens on all heat settings....just a matter of how many pellets are in the auger at the moment.....I see that happen on mine sometimes...not to worry.

[removed post posted to wrong thread]

macman,
been trying your suggestion on air flow at different heat settings. to maintain a burn on 1st setting, the air flow is set at about 1/4(the 1 doesn't even show). on setting 3, first yellow light, the setting is 3/4 for a clean flame. on setting 5, 1st red light, the setting is 1.

the air flow seems to be very touchy when adjusting. do you think there is a chance there may be an overdraft?

love these westwood pellets.

Hey Bob, as for overdraft, I guess anything is possible.

Basically, I set my stove the way the manual says to.....open the sir control until the little embers (sparks) are flying out when new pellets hit, plus a few glowing pieces of pellets occasionally. The burning embers at the very bottom of the burn pot should be "dancing" around a little.

If you get burning pellets getting ejected from the pot, then air is too far open.

Yes, the air control is a little touchy....I use the palm of my hand, and gently just "bump" the knob when I want to push it in, and pull with a little "jiggle" when I want to open it.....it's a fine line.

When you get it set right, you'll have a nice yellow/orange flame, the brick won't be black from carbon, and you'll get great heat.

I have the stove set at heat#3 (first yellow) right now, the air is at 1 1/4, room air blower is at about 80%, it's 19 degrees outside and the house is 68 degrees at the back of the house (away from the stove), and 71 degrees in the great room and kitchen where the stove is. If I leave the upstairs bedroom doors open, they are usually at about 67.

Most important thing though, is keep the stove CLEAN!

Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.