Lopi Deerfield or PelPro TSC90

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

newbietothestove

Oct 24, 2022
Long Island, NY
A bit of a weird comparison. My husband and I are looking to install a pellet stove into a non-combustible 10 inch deep alcove - so not really an alcove being that just the back hopper of the stove is within the alcove.

We are between a brand new PelPro TSC90 or a used 3 year old and needing a new blower Lopi Deerfield. What would you suggest? We are so torn.

Anecdotal and only a short term review but I really like my TSC90. I've had it for about a month but so far it's given a lot of heat, a good looking unit (but so is the Lopi), and easy to operate.

However, while the TCS has a deep hopper, it's attached to the back as opposed to the Lopi where you load closer to the front of the stove. I'd imagine that the Lopi would be easier to load if the stove will be recessed into an alcove as you described.

I agree about the hopper - but not a deal breaker I guess.

Do you find your unit loud? Lots of mixed reviews, no video reviews, and being unable to see it in person makes me hesitant.

I agree about the hopper - but not a deal breaker I guess.

Do you find your unit loud? Lots of mixed reviews, no video reviews, and being unable to see it in person makes me hesitant.

Its my first pellet stove, so take that for what it's worth, but its no louder than my fireplace insert. Do you hear it? Of course. But it's not disruptive. Maybe there's quieter stoves out there but I find it fine and don't have any desire for a "quieter" stove.

I read a lot of those mixed reviews as well. I tried to do as much research possible before purchasing and found the issues others had to be either their own fault and thus avoidable or easily fixable. Such as not cleaning as recommended or not using a surge protector.

I was lucky that my local TSC had two in store so I was able to check them out against the PP130 that I was also considering.

Hope that helps a bit. Happy to answer anything else I can.