Lopi evergreen,Lopi Next Gen large or BK Princess PI29.All inserts.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Oildeliverynomore

Mar 21, 2022
Massachusetts
Hi,
Looking into purchasing a stove and I have narrowed it down to three wood stove inserts and would appreciate any feedback on these models.
I have a living area of 2400 SF. Two floor and a basement.
House was built in 2004.
Traditional fireplace on the first floor,chimney up to the second floor,chimney inspected ok,stove insert would go here.
Fireplace located in family room vaulted ceilings and wide open to the kitchen and first floor is open floor plan.
I don't want to have my wife load the stove and prefer bigger logs and burn times, however I would love the tax credit as well.My wife thinks all of the stoves look like a creamatorium,so I don't have to get the best looking one.

Lopi evergreen insert- Pros Tax credit.I am cheap.
Cons:Basic boxy looking.

Lopi Next Gen large-
Pros: Beautiful Cast iron insert.I love it more then the wife loves it.Large.
Cons:No tax credit, expensive.

BK Princess PI29-
Pros :Tax credit,Large firebox ,less load time,wife doesn't have to load?
Cons:Sticks out,Boxy looking.

It looks like the Lopi large next gen is 3.0 cu feet versus 2.6 cu feet of the BK Princess.However it seems the burn time is much longer on the BK.We heat with oil and she keeps the temperature in the low 60's in the dead of the New England winter so I don't think we need to blasted out of the living room but it would be nice to bring the house up to 70.
We lose power a few times a year in the winter.

An insert that projects more out into the room (boxy) will radiate more heat. If the area is prone to power outages this can be a benefit.

One reason the BK burn times are so long is that it's possible to dial it down much more. That's very helpful for spring/fall when you don't want to overheat the house or deal with spiking-then-dropping house temps from doing short fires, but in January you'll likely be running at medium or high, which will result in shorter burn times. For a given efficiency and BTU output, a larger firebox means a longer burn time. How long of a burn time do you need?

Also, in case it might help get the other half of your household on board, it's possible to paint stoves with high-temp stove paint, and/or cover the insert surround with porcelain or tin tile. That way you don't have a big black box sitting front and center in your living room.

One reason the BK burn times are so long is that it's possible to dial it down much more. That's very helpful for spring/fall when you don't want to overheat the house or deal with spiking-then-dropping house temps from doing short fires, but in January you'll likely be running at medium or high, which will result in shorter burn times. For a given efficiency and BTU output, a larger firebox means a longer burn time. How long of a burn time do you need?

Also, in case it might help get the other half of your household on board, it's possible to paint stoves with high-temp stove paint, and/or cover the insert surround with porcelain or tin tile. That way you don't have a big black box sitting front and center in your living room.
Hi ,Thanks for the reply
I would like to load the stove in the morning and not have her worry about it until I get home 10 hours later.I do not think this is possible with New England weather,but I would like to pick the best stove out of those three.
The Lopi Large is $7300 (3.0cf) with liner and install and tax followed by The BK Princess29 Cat type(2.6cf) at $6700 and the Lopi Evergreen is $6400 .The later two are the only ones qualifying for the tax credit.

Hi ,Thanks for the reply
I would like to load the stove in the morning and not have her worry about it until I get home 10 hours later.I do not think this is possible with New England weather,but I would like to pick the best stove out of those three.
The Lopi Large is $7300 (3.0cf) with liner and install and tax followed by The BK Princess29 Cat type(2.6cf) at $6700 and the Lopi Evergreen is $6400 .The later two are the only ones qualifying for the tax credit.
Something to think about regarding firebox size on paper, bc I looked at the Lopi large flush…yes it’s a big 3.0 cu ft but is it all useable space? It’s an east west loader bc I think it’s only 12 or 13” deep, and I imagine if u try stacking it high e/w the logs could roll out. Someone who uses it might chime in and say it’s not a problem but it looked like a potential one to me. The princess might have a smaller volume on paper but it will hold bigger logs north south and therefore u can stack it fuller. I ordered the regency i2500, it sticks out some (looks better than the princess in my opinion), and gets the tax credit. And it’s a true hybrid, it has all the secondary tubes that their i2450 has plus the addition of a catalyst. So even if the cat messes up you still have an i2450 if that makes any sense.

Something to think about regarding firebox size on paper, bc I looked at the Lopi large flush…yes it’s a big 3.0 cu ft but is it all useable space? It’s an east west loader bc I think it’s only 12 or 13” deep, and I imagine if u try stacking it high e/w the logs could roll out. Someone who uses it might chime in and say it’s not a problem but it looked like a potential one to me. The princess might have a smaller volume on paper but it will hold bigger logs north south and therefore u can stack it fuller. I ordered the regency i2500, it sticks out some (looks better than the princess in my opinion), and gets the tax credit. And it’s a true hybrid, it has all the secondary tubes that their i2450 has plus the addition of a catalyst. So even if the cat messes up you still have an i2450 if that makes any sense.
Thanks,I just got a quote for the i2500 and it came in around $5700 installed with blower and liner and tax.I did get a price on the BK $6700 with tax.My dealer had mentioned the i2500 wasn't the same quality as the Lopi but everything I see on this forum says it is,perhaps they were talking the athetics of the unit.The price on the i2500 seems like a decent price compared to all the quotes I have so far.

Reactions: JonH
FWIW, I can get 8 hours (10 with the soapstone) in the Hudson Valley area of NY with a 1.85 cu ft firebox (although I've only got 1500 sq ft). I'd expect a 2.6 cu ft firebox could get you 10 hours.

Reactions: Oildeliverynomore
Thanks,I just got a quote for the i2500 and it came in around $5700 installed with blower and liner and tax.I did get a price on the BK $6700 with tax.My dealer had mentioned the i2500 wasn't the same quality as the Lopi but everything I see on this forum says it is,perhaps they were talking the athetics of the unit.The price on the i2500 seems like a decent price compared to all the quotes I have so far.
I was told by my regency dealer that Lopi and Regency don’t play well together, if someone sells one they don’t sell the other. That’s probably why the Lopi guy made a jab at the regency. The local Lopi dealer said he doesn’t like regency bc they had a lot of gas log problems and were a pain to deal with so he doesn’t cary regency, lol but quickly mentioned he’s never had a problem with their wood products. I’ve heard nothing but good things about regency, there’s even a guy on this forum who didn’t register his insert or save his receipt, or write down the serial #, and they still gave him a replacement unit when his messed up. My price for my i2500 installed after tax is 7k, but that’s with the home pro ultra insulated liner, a really big flat top stainless chimney cap to protect the whole crown, and pressure washing and applying water sealant to the 35’ chimney. I think it was going to be 6 or 6,100 if I didn’t get the upgraded cap or pressure wash/sealant. Sounds like you’re getting a good deal.

Also, if you run with a small heat demand, the BK is nice as mentioned before, but do note that it's in black box mode then - some glowing can be seen, but no flames.

If that's important, the shorter hotter fires in a tube stove.may be more suitable for you.

From what I've read, Regency is a good brand.

My house is 2400 SF. the fireplace on side of house.
The Lopi evergreen 2.2 CF firebox is listed as 2000 SF
The Regency i2500 2.3 CF is listed as 2200 SF
The Lopi Next gen large 3.0CF is listed as 2500 SF.
I would like to get maximum heat up to the second level. Should I go with the larger fire box Lopi? Or would the Regency be good enough?

The square footage listings don't amount to much; heat need depends a lot on layout, insulation, window area, solar exposure, and temperature wanted in the home.

The firebox sizes are also not always reliable; what matters is "usable volume" in the firebox. Sometimes these listings are technically correct, but due to tubes in the top not all of that can be used.

Regardless, at 2400 sq ft, I would go with the larger one.

Reactions: yuryk and clancey
Good insert.

Keep us updated about the install and the first burns! And some pics please of the finished set up :)

Reactions: clancey
Hope it goes well!

It was really interesting for me to see a couple of i2500 price quotes in this thread, given that a dealer here quoted me about $9500 installed for the same unit. This confirms my feeling that that was a bit high. Still looking…. @JonH and @Oildeliverynomore, were the numbers you list the quote before taking the tax credit into account?

Hope it goes well!

It was really interesting for me to see a couple of i2500 price quotes in this thread, given that a dealer here quoted me about $9500 installed for the same unit. This confirms my feeling that that was a bit high. Still looking…. @JonH and @Oildeliverynomore, were the numbers you list the quote before taking the tax credit into account?
Hi,
My numbers were direct from the dealer.The tax credit was not factored in.

Reactions: AstroBoy
Hope it goes well!

My quote I shared with you did not take the tax credit into account. My i2500 was just installed on Friday. My install included: the oversized surround, blower, they swept my chimney, 27’ of 6” home saver ultra pro liner insulated, big ass rectangle stainless cap that covers the entire crown, pressure washed the chimney, applied water sealant, and repaired my badly cracked crown and I paid $7,000. I’ll get a tax credit of $1,820 next year for it. So if u wanted after tax credit price, then after all is said and done I’ll have $5,180 in it.
Looks are subjective, but I think the i2500 looks amazing. Plus this unit is unique bc it’s a true hybrid, it has all the secondary burn tubes and lay out of the i2450 with the addition of a digital thermometer and a catalyst…so even if u never engage the cat you’ve got a good stove, bc the i2450 seems to be a fan favorite, then when u engage the cat you can extend the burn times and get more heat (that’s what they say anyway lol) so it was a no-brainer for me to pay $500 more than the i2450 to get the i2500 bc I would be getting the $1,800 tax credit plus improved performance.
On a side note, my installers were super nice too , they used the bucket truck to fix one of my shingles that had backed out and was sticking up nail by nailing it back down and applying waterproof silicone. I’m very happy so far and can’t wait for this winter already lol.

Reactions: AstroBoy
Regency i2500
Update

Insert ordered in spring. Three cords of one year seasoned wood in spring. Installed in June.The moisture count was 17 in the spring and it's been drying under open sun ever since. I think my wood supplier snuck in too much pine into the load.
Today was the day to break the stove in.
Full throttle open I haven't been able to get it higher than 450 F.I am doubting the accuracy of the location of the thermocouple as the whole lower house is 78 and the stove is burning through wood extremely fast with everything closed off to about 1/4 way. Is this normal?
Other than that beautiful stove, couldn't be happier.

PXL_20221002_105625209.jpg

How did you measure the moisture content? On a piece you had in the home to get to room temperature for a day, and the split in half, and measured on the freshly exposed inside surface?

How tall is your chimney?

Any Lopi Next Gen large owners here? Or Evergreen?I would love to here some feedback on those models.
Hi, I have the Lopi large next gen flush wood insert with the Wilmington front. It's installed in one of those heatform iron fireboxes that was popular in the 70s. The fireplace is in the center of the house on the first floor. There is no second floor, just an insulated attic, and there's a finished basement which is where the oil burning furnace is (in utility room). We don't heat the basement but it stays around 60 degrees largely because, I think, the furnace cycles on occasionally for the water heater. We have a gym downstairs so 60 is fine. We're in upstate NY and we're really happy with the Lopi. It keeps our house between 65-72 with no help from the furnace. The square footage is around 1800. I don't pack the fire box, but at 1/2 -3/4 full, I still have embers in the morning with warm air from the fans, and easily get the burn back by adding kindling. The stove burns really nice, in my opinion, but I have no past experience with any other makes / models. The cat is original (4th season) and still glows nicely. My wife loves the look-it is a beauty, and I have zero complaints - it's one of the best investments we made since buying the house. Hope that helps. It you have any questions I'd be happy to try and answer them, but I don't have near the knowledge most of the guys on here have! Best of luck to you!

Reactions: yuryk and begreen