Lopi Evergreen vs Blaze King Sirocco

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jess404

Feb 9, 2022
Massachusetts
Hi,

I recently purchased a home with a very old wood insert. I had the chimney cleaned and inspected and was told the current insert isn’t really any better than just using an open fireplace. There is currently no liner just the insert set inside the masonry fireplace. This fireplace and the current stove also do not have a damper so when not in use my I’m losing a lot of heat up the chimney. The house is a 2 story colonial built in 1969. I have oil heat and would like to supplement that by using an insert for the main floor. I have been looking at various inserts and I think I have narrowed my choices down to the Lopi Evergreen NexGen-Fyre insert and the Blaze King Sirocco 25. I’m leaning towards the Evergreen since it’s efficient, non-cat, and has a small shelf I could heat something on if the power goes out- but would like to hear opinions from seasoned users. This is my first experience using a fireplace/wood stove/insert. I’m looking for low maintenance and simple operation.

Thank you for your advice!

Hi,

I recently purchased a home with a very old wood insert. I had the chimney cleaned and inspected and was told the current insert isn’t really any better than just using an open fireplace. There is currently no liner just the insert set inside the masonry fireplace. This fireplace and the current stove also do not have a damper so when not in use my I’m losing a lot of heat up the chimney. The house is a 2 story colonial built in 1969. I have oil heat and would like to supplement that by using an insert for the main floor. I have been looking at various inserts and I think I have narrowed my choices down to the Lopi Evergreen NexGen-Fyre insert and the Blaze King Sirocco 25. I’m leaning towards the Evergreen since it’s efficient, non-cat, and has a small shelf I could heat something on if the power goes out- but would like to hear opinions from seasoned users. This is my first experience using a fireplace/wood stove/insert. I’m looking for low maintenance and simple operation.

Thank you for your advice!
I received these two “quotes” if that influences opinions on the two. Neither place has come out and done measurements so not exact. Also a picture of what I currently have.

C543D8A3-6F71-45AA-BBF6-53099C53988B.png 16DAF90C-71D3-446B-8BEE-A5D608CE71EF.jpeg 0FEF2B2E-2712-427B-AF66-E067627911B6.png

Why is one estimate quoting for a 35' liner kit and the other quoting for a 25' liner kit?

Have you considered the BK Princess insert as an alternative? It projects out of the fireplace which should be an advantage in the event of a power outage.

Why is one estimate quoting for a 35' liner kit and the other quoting for a 25' liner kit?

Have you considered the BK Princess insert as an alternative? It projects out of the fireplace which should be an advantage in the event of a power outage.
Neither has been out to the house so I’m guessing those are just assumptions each one made based on it being a colonial. I would have estimated the chimney needing the 25’ if I had to guess. I had looked at the princess but I’m not sure if would need to do anything to extend out the fireplace since it sits out more.

Neither has been out to the house so I’m guessing those are just assumptions each one made based on it being a colonial. I would have estimated the chimney needing the 25’ if I had to guess. I had looked at the princess but I’m not sure if would need to do anything to extend out the fireplace since it sits out more.
Honestly the one liner and install price looks extremely low. I am sure that is for the cheapest uninsulated liner they can find with no block off plate or cleaning involved. The other one is a bit closer to what I would expect but still pretty low.

Honestly the one liner and install price looks extremely low. I am sure that is for the cheapest uninsulated liner they can find with no block off plate or cleaning involved. The other one is a bit closer to what I would expect but still pretty low.
Thanks, I emailed them back to find out about insulation and a block off plate.

Regarding the two inserts, I'd choose the one you like most aesthetically. Efficiencies are comparable.

The cat one (BK) will allow a lower continuous output for e.g. heating in shoulder seasons. But running it at lower output will be with less or no flame view. If flame view is important, I'd go with the non-cat.

However, if the room is small and heat does not exit to other rooms easily, the cat insert might be better because one can decrease the heat output more to avoid being cooked out of the room.

Also note that the cat insert is best with an insulated liner.

Finally, if the 35' is true, then you may need a damper in the flue, which can be harder for inserts.

Regarding the two inserts, I'd choose the one you like most aesthetically. Efficiencies are comparable.

The cat one (BK) will allow a lower continuous output for e.g. heating in shoulder seasons. But running it at lower output will be with less or no flame view. If flame view is important, I'd go with the non-cat.

However, if the room is small and heat does not exit to other rooms easily, the cat insert might be better because one can decrease the heat output more to avoid being cooked out of the room.

Also note that the cat insert is best with an insulated liner.

Finally, if the 35' is true, then you may need a damper in the flue, which can be harder for inserts.
The layout of the main floor has good flow between rooms so I don’t think I would need to worry about being cooked out. I’m also looking into minisplits which would be another option for shoulder seasons. If I went with the non-cat would I still want the insulated liner or just the block off plate?

Yes, you'd still want the block-off plate. The insulated liner is good, but may not be necessary for draft. HOWEVER (big letters...), if there is no 2" clearance between the outside of your masonry chimney to the nearest combustible (which could be the drywall facing if studs are metal - the latter is already unlikely), then you need an insulated liner.

If you are looking at minisplits to heat, then the advantage of turn down of the cat stove "evaporate" a bit.
A tube stove and minisplit is a very good combo.

(However, (smaller letters...) the BK has the awesome feature that the heat output is really well-regulated, very even, due to the thermostat.)

But, if fireview (ambiance) is (more) important than continuous heating, if you don't get cooked out of the room, and you have efficient shoulder season heating, then a tube stove rather than a cat is perfectly defensible, and possibly the better choice.

For example, today my stove (a BK) was in black box mode. I reloaded yesterday early evening with ash and maple. It was 29 or so for a low last night. It was 41 or so and sunny today. My stove chewed on that load until 3 pm or so when I added two short splits of cherry. I'll be reloading in 45 mins or so. The stove did not show any flame, was rather dark, apart from the few spots of glowing material. So ambiance is minimal - at these temps. I did have nice flames when it is below 20 F outside.
Today it did keep my home at a very, very constant 70-71 degrees all that time, courtesy of the bimetal thermostat.

Of course longer burns give less heat output, so I won't be getting these long burns when it's cold outside.

While tube stoves can be controlled well, I do think this "even heat" feature of the BK is very nice. But my mindset is on "continuous heating" (I work at home). I did not use any oil this winter...

I sense your approach/mindset is different (see "supplement"). If you want the occasional (or frequent evening-) fire, and given your room, minisplit etc, a stove that gives a good show is nice. The lopi will do that more often than the BK.

So, as happy as I am with my BK (and as everything in me screams everyone should get a BK), life is simply not that simple. Other circumstances lead to other options being better for those circumstances. (And this whole story may simply be me telling myself not to push for a BK here :) ).

Does the Lopi qualify for the tax credit? (Note that the tax credit also applies to the install cost, including the liner!)

Reactions: blazers
Yes, you'd still want the block-off plate. The insulated liner is good, but may not be necessary for draft. HOWEVER (big letters...), if there is no 2" clearance between the outside of your masonry chimney to the nearest combustible (which could be the drywall facing if studs are metal - the latter is already unlikely), then you need an insulated liner.

If you are looking at minisplits to heat, then the advantage of turn down of the cat stove "evaporate" a bit.
A tube stove and minisplit is a very good combo.

(However, (smaller letters...) the BK has the awesome feature that the heat output is really well-regulated, very even, due to the thermostat.)

But, if fireview (ambiance) is (more) important than continuous heating, if you don't get cooked out of the room, and you have efficient shoulder season heating, then a tube stove rather than a cat is perfectly defensible, and possibly the better choice.

For example, today my stove (a BK) was in black box mode. I reloaded yesterday early evening with ash and maple. It was 29 or so for a low last night. It was 41 or so and sunny today. My stove chewed on that load until 3 pm or so when I added two short splits of cherry. I'll be reloading in 45 mins or so. The stove did not show any flame, was rather dark, apart from the few spots of glowing material. So ambiance is minimal - at these temps. I did have nice flames when it is below 20 F outside.
Today it did keep my home at a very, very constant 70-71 degrees all that time, courtesy of the bimetal thermostat.

Of course longer burns give less heat output, so I won't be getting these long burns when it's cold outside.

While tube stoves can be controlled well, I do think this "even heat" feature of the BK is very nice. But my mindset is on "continuous heating" (I work at home). I did not use any oil this winter...

I sense your approach/mindset is different (see "supplement"). If you want the occasional (or frequent evening-) fire, and given your room, minisplit etc, a stove that gives a good show is nice. The lopi will do that more often than the BK.

So, as happy as I am with my BK (and as everything in me screams everyone should get a BK), life is simply not that simple. Other circumstances lead to other options being better for those circumstances. (And this whole story may simply be me telling myself not to push for a BK here :) ).

Does the Lopi qualify for the tax credit? (Note that the tax credit also applies to the install cost, including the liner!)
It would be in the family room so seeing a fire would be nice but not necessarily required. I do work from home mostly as well. I figure the second floor won’t benefit much from the insert (attached a main floor plan sketch) so I’m thinking mostly daytime/evening use. I don’t keep the thermostat on very high up there anyway. Both stoves qualify for the rebate.

1B7E881E-D248-4E33-8196-3DBB755FA06F.jpeg

It would be in the family room so seeing a fire would be nice but not necessarily required. I do work from home mostly as well. I figure the second floor won’t benefit much from the insert (attached a main floor plan sketch) so I’m thinking mostly daytime/evening use. I don’t keep the thermostat on very high up there anyway. Both stoves qualify for the rebate.

View attachment 291888
Seems like a good floorplan, especially if the opening to DR and LR are larger than "single-wide door".

I don't have much to add to what I noted above; it will be a preference thing (even vs flames), and possibly aesthetics (important for something visible from this large a part of the home). Others may have different views that are worth considering.

Basically, I don't think you can go very wrong here.

Thanks! Since it sounds like both are good I think I’m going to try to order the Evergreen. With it being my first time using one the non-cat sounds a little more appealing (one less thing to mess up/break). I also contacted them and the estimate did include a block off plate in the liner package. And insulating the liner would be around $400. Looking at my chimney outside I’m pretty confident its not 35’ so liner price may be less than the quote once they come out to see it.

Reactions: stoveliker
@Jess404 I am eager for an update. Did you get the Evergreen installed yet?

This is one of the models I am seriously considering. Besides this Lopi, I am also considering. I am also thinking about the Blaze King Sirocco 25, the Regency i2500, and both the Kuma Cascade LE and Alpine LE models.

I like the looks of the Sirocco 25, but can't put a small pot on it like some of the others.

Look forward to an update from you if you have something installed.

@Jess404 I am eager for an update. Did you get the Evergreen installed yet?

This is one of the models I am seriously considering. Besides this Lopi, I am also considering. I am also thinking about the Blaze King Sirocco 25, the Regency i2500, and both the Kuma Cascade LE and Alpine LE models.

I like the looks of the Sirocco 25, but can't put a small pot on it like some of the others.

Look forward to an update from you if you have something installed.
I decided to order the Evergreen from a different place than the two quotes I had posted. I think it was slightly more but they had included insulation in theirs. They came out to measure earlier this week. I don’t think I will have it for a while though. The place I ordered from already had 5 on order so I was able to reserve one of those. They said they expect it will be a big seller.

Hey @Jess404, please post some pics and a little info about it's operation if you are still around these forums. I'm curious as I have been looking at this stove for myself versus all the same other stoves you metioned as well (Kuma, Regency, Blaze King, even looked at a Napoleon). Nobody has images of the fireboxes on these things, which is the primary thing I'm looking for in reviews or marketing material. Even Youtube videos have just images of stoves burning at high settings and nothing else...here and there I see some stuff about low burn rates and temps, but not much. I hope all is good with your new stove!