Lopi Leyden question:

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave1959

Hearth Supporter
Dec 29, 2009
Maryland
when I open the doors to my stove and look down there is row of holes across the front with an adjustable flat vent. I am assuming that this is an air vent to help keep the glass clean ??? Does anyone know the air flow passage of this "vent"
My reason is this. As the stove gets dirty ash collects in this area and goes down the holes. I take out the flat vent plate's and vacuum it out but I'm pretty sure im not getting it all. If I knew where those holes went I could be sure I am cleaning correctly.
.No I'm not having any burn issues.
Stove works great and I'm very happy.

Any facts...Not thoughts or guesses ( I do enough of that on my own)

I can't tell you where the holes go, but i have been cleaning mine the same way and haven't seen any change in the cleanliness of the glass. It gets dirty at about the same rate as it always has.

Not worried about the glass so much. ( unlike some other people on this forum)(sarcasim) Its a fireplace its going to get dirty.

I just cant believe that the ash going down there isint clogging something up, even if just slightly. I tried a flashlight, air, pipe cleaners ect and just cant' figure it out.

Tried the local dealer, who I bought it from, And unless you are buying a new stove or need a service house call they are about as helpfull as silicone implants on a boar hog.

dave1959 said:
Not worried about the glass so much. ( unlike some other people on this forum)(sarcasim) Its a fireplace its going to get dirty.

I just cant believe that the ash going down there isint clogging something up, even if just slightly. I tried a flashlight, air, pipe cleaners ect and just cant' figure it out.

Tried the local dealer, who I bought it from, And unless you are buying a new stove or need a service house call they are about as helpfull as silicone implants on a boar hog.

Air washes usually draw air into the fire box and this is technically a bad thing because it is actually a burn pot air bypass, fortunately most stove makers take this into account when figuring out the actual air flow that goes through the burn pot canceling out the effects of the bypass. But not all do.

The impact of those areas getting ash filled is a faster glass build up and frequently a hotter fire.

Good question Dave. I've wondered myself where those holes go and how clogged up it's getting under them. I've found the air wash doesn't work so well, especially on lower settings.

richkorn said:
Good question Dave. I've wondered myself where those holes go and how clogged up it's getting under them. I've found the air wash doesn't work so well, especially on lower settings.

Same basic situation I'm in. Not so much worried about the glass, and mine burns on the two highest setting most of the time.

dave1959 said:
richkorn said:

Same basic situation I'm in. Not so much worried about the glass, and mine burns on the two highest setting most of the time.

Wow, I'm usually on Heat #2, or #3 and only go to #4 or #5 when it's single digits out. I usually run the fan at the same setting as the heat.

richkorn said:
dave1959 said:
richkorn said:

Wow, I'm usually on Heat #2, or #3 and only go to #4 or #5 when it's single digits out. I usually run the fan at the same setting as the heat.

X2 - I have had it on the 5th setting (red light) only for a short time once this winter, generally I am running on 2 or 3, loving my Spruce Pointes!!!

Yeh, I know its high. We use as primary heating for a 2500sq ft split foyer, stove is in the basement and I like to be warm. Keeps the upstairs 75-78 degrees.
heat pump has not been used so far this season. Electric bill is low.

Understood!

Question:

If you look under the cast iron ash traps (the rectangular hole that leads to the ash bin). Around that opening is a groove that goes all the way around it. My right one has a small/thin rope gasket along the right side in the groove but the rest of that right one and the whole left one is gone/disintegrated. Do you have that thin rope gasket all the way around those channels in your ash traps? Since mine is gone I am getting air flow through there (seal is gone) and creosote is building up in those traps and in the ash bin. Don't know if it's related to the leaking air or the Hamer (Mt. Hope) pellets.

Let me know thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.