Lopi Libery install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TheBigIron

Feeling the Heat
Dec 23, 2014
Peru, IL
Hello all. I currently have an Avalon wood insert installed in my full brick fireplace. A 6” stainless steel insulated chimney liner at approximately 30’ straight up. My home is approximately 2800 sq. ft. Somewhat of an open floor plan, not the tightest of homes. In April I’m planning on reconfiguring for a free standing Lopi libery.

Question. Should I take out my chimney liner and inspect it and make sure it’s good to go for the Lopi? I clean it every (3) months during heating season and nothing seems out of place. Thanks for the input.

The liner can be inspected from the inside, with a camera. No need to take it out. A good professional (or handy DIYer) can do this.

30 ft is rather tall. I'm not sure but be aware that you might have too much draft for the Lopi (not all stoves like the same flue lengths). Most need 15' or so.
If too much draft, adding a flue damper might be needed - if you can reach the stove pipe from the Lopi before it goes into the flue. Pay attention in the initial fires to control it well enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: MR. GLO
The liner can be inspected from the inside, with a camera. No need to take it out. A good professional (or handy DIYer) can do this.

30 ft is rather tall. I'm not sure but be aware that you might have too much draft for the Lopi (not all stoves like the same flue lengths).
If too much draft, adding a flue damper might be needed - if you can reach the stove pipe from the Lopi before it goes into the flue. Pay attention in the initial fires to control it well enough.
I’ve downloaded the install manual and have read through it, couldn’t find anything about chimney height. I know it talks about using (2) 45 dev elbows instead of the (1) 90 deg elbow. Would you consider a different stove? I’d consider a different stove but liked the liberty’s firebox size. Would that be a manual stove pipe damper?.

Manual damper yes.
I don't know this stove well, but 30 ft will be a lot for most stoves. Given that, I think it's best to go with what you want and then adjust (add damper) to make it work. So make sure you have space to add a damper.

I hope others with more diverse stove knowledge will chime in.

@begreen ?

Last edited:
Reactions: MR. GLO
Manual damper yes.
I don't know this stove well, but 30 ft will be a lot for most stoves. Given that I think it's best to go with what you want and then adjust (add damper) to make it work. So make sure you have space to add a damper.

I hope others with more diverse stove knowledge will chime in.

@begreen ?
Thanks for your reply I pulled my house information packet from when we bought it, chimney is 26’ tall so I was close.. But the liner is straight no bends etc and insulated inside the existing chimney…

Straight is good; easier to clean. Insulated is good too; keeps it cleaner.

I hope you'll get input on the stove.

I see @begreen has not been online in a few days. Hope he's alright.

@bholler? @Highbeam ? (Calling some folks that have seen (way) more stoves than I have.)

Straight is good; easier to clean. Insulated is good too; keeps it cleaner.

I hope you'll get input on the stove.

I see @begreen has not been online in a few days. Hope he's alright.

@bholler? @Highbeam ? (Calling some folks that have seen (way) more stoves than I have.)
Your advice is good, can always install a damper if it's too strong a draft. Mine's 26 feet too and it's right on the edge of being too strong sometimes and have considered adding a damper but I haven't had to.

Thanks for your reply I pulled my house information packet from when we bought it, chimney is 26’ tall so I was close.. But the liner is straight no bends etc and insulated inside the existing chimney…
I would absolutely recommend a pipe damper you probably have excessive draft. And just have the liner inspected with a camera. No need to go to the trouble of pulling it. Btw why are you cleaning so often? That is rather excessive

The OP was also wondering about whether the stove he prefers would be ok (home size, etc).

I would absolutely recommend a pipe damper you probably have excessive draft. And just have the liner inspected with a camera. No need to go to the trouble of pulling it. Btw why are you cleaning so often? That is rather excessive
Every once in a while my wood isn’t quite right, I’ve seen moisture bubbling out on a few occasions. When I burn oak that’s been CSS and top covered for 3+ years, most pieces are fine at 16-18% sometimes they bubble. Rather be safe than sorry I guess.

Every once in a while my wood isn’t quite right, I’ve seen moisture bubbling out on a few occasions. When I burn oak that’s been CSS and top covered for 3+ years, most pieces are fine at 16-18% sometimes they bubble. Rather be safe than sorry I guess.

Are you saying they bubble sometimes even when you measure 16-18 pct?

Are you saying they bubble sometimes even when you measure 16-18 pct?
Correct, that’s what I can’t believe. Not every piece but it does happen. But then again it still does have water in it???

Are you measuring on a piece of wood that is at room temperature, that you then resplit so you can measure on a fresh surface, and are you measuring along the grain on that fresh surface?

Are you measuring on a piece of wood that is at room temperature, that you then resplit so you can measure on a fresh surface, and are you measuring along the grain on that fresh surface?
Yeah, I follow those procedures (you guys are full of knowledge and great information). It’s weird because I’ll bring in some locust thats the same MC and everything is fine. Oak at 3+css doesn’t perform well in my insert. Maybe I’ll give it another year.

While not unheard of, it is not common imo.

Make sure the pins are as deep in solid wood (not half loose slivers); it's an electrical resistance measurement, so you need good (deep) contact, and as measurement errors here are almost always giving a lower moisture content, I'd take the highest reading as the most reliable one.

Back to "consider a different stove"? No, not based on the chimney as most modern stove are designed for the same (15' ish) chimney height - minimum. So another stove won't make a difference regarding chimney and damper.

I don't know whether the heat output would work with your home (layout and size) - that's why I hoped others would comment.

While not unheard of, it is not common imo.

Make sure the pins are as deep in solid wood (not half loose slivers); it's an electrical resistance measurement, so you need good (deep) contact, and as measurement errors here are almost always giving a lower moisture content, I'd take the highest reading as the most reliable one.

Back to "consider a different stove"? No, not based on the chimney as most modern stove are designed for the same (15' ish) chimney height - minimum. So another stove won't make a difference regarding chimney and damper.

I don't know whether the heat output would work with your home (layout and size) - that's why I hoped others would comment.
Always appreciate any input I can get from people on here. I’ll wait to hear what others have to say, again thanks for your time

The Lopi Liberty you are considering cans heat 2500 Sq. ft , IMHO many other stoves out there heat more sq. ft with even a smaller firebox, Osburn, QuadraFire, Pacific Energy Summit to name but a few, etc., etc., most of those can normally be installed with a 90° elbow instead of 2 x 45° which in my eyes anyways seems less complicated. Have you considered something else than the Lopi ?

The Lopi Liberty you are considering cans heat 2500 Sq. ft , IMHO many other stoves out there heat more sq. ft with even a smaller firebox, Osburn, QuadraFire, Pacific Energy Summit to name but a few, etc., etc., most of those can normally be installed with a 90° elbow instead of 2 x 45° which in my eyes anyways seems less complicated. Have you considered something else than the Lopi ?
Honestly all options are on the table. The liberty caught my eye because of the large firebox, and burn time. And the dealer is (1) mile from my residence. But all options are on the table.

Do you want to heat the whole house, or a part, 24/7 or e.g. evenings and weekends?

Do you want to heat the whole house, or a part, 24/7 or e.g. evenings and weekends?
Ideally 24-7, and as much of the house I can. I mean with this insert it does about a C- honestly, but I’m only getting heat from the front of it and it has a small blower on it etc. I’d like to be able to load in the morning and have the house warm etc after work then reload around 7pm and repeat.

And the C- do the Avalon is why?
Is it because the far reaching corners of the home don't get warm?

How well Insulated is your home?

The lopi liberty is a rather big step up from 1.8 cu ft firebox.

I mean, nothing bad about the lopi, but would it heat the stove room too much? There are other stoves that are capable of 12 hr cycles. Do you need the max output from the liberty? (Hence.my question about why the C-).

Yeah it doesn’t reach out. Stove room opens up to an addition that’s well insulated and is 20x30 with stairs to the basement (that’s off to the right side). The room then opens up to the dining room and kitchen with the open stairwell for the upstairs. If you want me to draw it out I can.

It not reaching the farther rooms may be more because of the layout than the stove. (Emphasis on may..)

A sketch would be good to have.

It not reaching the farther rooms may be more because of the layout than the stove. (Emphasis on may..)

A sketch would be good to have.
1642353514776.jpeg