Lopi Libery install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That ground floor should be (fairly well) heatable with the stove where it is. High ceilings (and lower door headers) would hinder it a bit.
Are you saying that it's tough to heat this floor?
You are able to make an air circuit; have air flowing out of the stove room through the addition into the dining room and back to the stove room. The best way to do that is to have a fan on the ground pushing the coldest air from where the "M" of the dining room is written into the stove room.

The basement obviously would be tough as heat goes up.
If you have bedrooms upstairs and (narrow) stairs leading there, that'll be a challenge with most stoves.

If it is this floor alone that is currently the problem, I am concerned that the liberty may be too large.
If you want upstairs heat as well, then that is hard regardless. The stairs are near the stove which is good, but it depends a lot on the very specifics (bedrooms, hallway, width of the stairs, whether you can get some more laminar flow or mixing of rising hot and sinking cold air etc).

Maybe you also have trouble with the Avalon (heat output and shorter heating times) because of the tall chimney. If you have a lot of draft, a lot of heat goes up the chimney rather than into your room. It'll also shorten burn times.
A freestanding stove with a pipe damper would be a good move then.

Despite my concern (but I don't have enough experience - and experience is more important than (theoretical) knowledge in figuring out the sizing of a stove in relation to a home), one can always build smaller fires in a bigger stove. That would obviously be needing more tending (i.e. shorter burn cycles) and that goes counter your 12 hr reload wishes.

Another option for longer heat would be a cat stove. But you may have strong opinions against that. I just don't know (and have a hard time believing) you need a 60-70k BTU/hr stove for this ground floor. And I don't think a stove will be very useful upstairs unless you can make an aircircuit too (but it would then have to be draining cold air from all bedrooms, which is not likely going to happen).

So, I am still concerned the liberty is too large, and that the dissatisfaction with the Avalon may be (simply) due to your chimney.
But - I don't have the experience in sizing stoves.

That ground floor should be (fairly well) heatable with the stove where it is. High ceilings (and lower door headers) would hinder it a bit.
Are you saying that it's tough to heat this floor?
You are able to make an air circuit; have air flowing out of the stove room through the addition into the dining room and back to the stove room. The best way to do that is to have a fan on the ground pushing the coldest air from where the "M" of the dining room is written into the stove room.

The basement obviously would be tough as heat goes up.
If you have bedrooms upstairs and (narrow) stairs leading there, that'll be a challenge with most stoves.

If it is this floor alone that is currently the problem, I am concerned that the liberty may be too large.
If you want upstairs heat as well, then that is hard regardless. The stairs are near the stove which is good, but it depends a lot on the very specifics (bedrooms, hallway, width of the stairs, whether you can get some more laminar flow or mixing of rising hot and sinking cold air etc).

Maybe you also have trouble with the Avalon (heat output and shorter heating times) because of the tall chimney. If you have a lot of draft, a lot of heat goes up the chimney rather than into your room. It'll also shorten burn times.
A freestanding stove with a pipe damper would be a good move then.

Despite my concern (but I don't have enough experience - and experience is more important than (theoretical) knowledge in figuring out the sizing of a stove in relation to a home), one can always build smaller fires in a bigger stove. That would obviously be needing more tending (i.e. shorter burn cycles) and that goes counter your 12 hr reload wishes.

Another option for longer heat would be a cat stove. But you may have strong opinions against that. I just don't know (and have a hard time believing) you need a 60-70k BTU/hr stove for this ground floor. And I don't think a stove will be very useful upstairs unless you can make an aircircuit too (but it would then have to be draining cold air from all bedrooms, which is not likely going to happen).

So, I am still concerned the liberty is too large, and that the dissatisfaction with the Avalon may be (simply) due to your chimney.
But - I don't have the experience in sizing stoves.
The Endeavor is an option (Lopi stove) but all of my wood is already cut at 20” and that stove only accepts 18” pieces, so that means I’ve got to recut every piece again 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️. It’s early I’ll consider all options before purchasing anything. Appreciate everything

I'm not sure there are many 20" stoves around. The PE Alderlea t6 also only takes 18" I think.

@bholler, does Regency have such stoves?

BK needs a top flue which might be hard here. Don't know about other ones. And free standing is important for adding a damper here.

Most people normally want the bedrooms to remain cooler than the spaces occupied or lived in during the day, have you established the approximate square footage you really want to heat and what you can do to move heat around the desired space.

Reactions: stoveliker
I'm not sure there are many 20" stoves around. The PE Alderlea t6 also only takes 18" I think.

@bholler, does Regency have such stoves?

BK needs a top flue which might be hard here. Don't know about other ones. And free standing is important for adding a damper here.
I think you have to go to the pro line. 3500/5200 to get 20"

OP I have 3 year split and stacked oak that measures 16% on a room temp freshly split face with my meter and I will occasionally hear it sizzle when I load on a hot bed of coals.

Reactions: TheBigIron
@begreen I see you're back. I think the OP could benefit from your view of this.