Lopi Republic 1250: I can't complain.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktail

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2011
Western WA
For an insert that is rated to heat up to 1200sf and have a maximum burn time of 8 hours, I'm really happy with my 1250. I pretty much use it as the primary heat for my 1155sf house. It's extra impressive if you consider the fact that my insert is located in about the worst possible location for heating the house.
I last loaded it today at 12:30 with 2 splits of Douglas Fir and 1 split of alder. When I left at 1:00 I had the air turned down low, the stove-front thermometer was at 450 degrees, and if I looked real hard I could see a tiny bit of smoke coming from the chimney. This is what I had when I got home at 11:00.
I've been burning for 3 days straight and haven't had to use any paper to start a fire.

Attachments

• coals.jpg
    coals.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,255
that is nice and great burn time on that wood

Reactions: raybonz
Hi Blacktail,

I have a Lopi Answer (same as 1250). I agree with the heat output and burn longevity for such a small stove. It heats my 1250 square foot house down to about 20 degrees F (it's a well-insulated house).

Looking at the glass door on your 1250, I'd said your wood might be a little wet or you didn't have enough splits in there to maintain a high enough burn temperature for most efficient burning. If you try >3 splits, you might get a cleaner burn and cleaner glass after the burn. My Lopi usually cruises at 550 degrees F on top middle front of the stovetop.

Congrats about the long burn.

Another warm and happy lopi owner==c

I like my Lopi 1250 free standing stove. I wish I had bought the 1750 because I'd like the extra firebox capacity, but the stove works great. I can get sort of 8 hour burns from mine - the stove is warm but not hot and there are a few small coals after 8 hours, but I don't usually trun the air very low.

Outstanding burns on your Lopi! Mine will only do that with Oak/ Hickory. I do love my ceder for the smell.

That should be very encouraging to others who may be afraid that a smaller stove like that won't hold a burn long enough.

Don't know exactly where you are, but we probably should add that Western Wa is a pretty mild climate, so, as they say, YMMV.

I throw in single North Idaho Energy Log with a load of Douglas Fir and it pretty much ensures a 10-12 hour burn. At the tail end of burns the energy log is still glowing so I rake it forward and open the primary for additional heat. Of course my fan will have shut off quite a bit before that so I turn my snap disc bypass switch on so I can continue to push heat out with the fan. Even at 12 hours there are plenty of coals to drop a new load on and have a roaring fire again in a couple minutes at most.

EDIT: I woke up to 8.5 inches of snow this morning. A cozy day in front of the fire.

videostream.jpeg

That should be very encouraging to others who may be afraid that a smaller stove like that won't hold a burn long enough.

Don't know exactly where you are, but we probably should add that Western Wa is a pretty mild climate, so, as they say, YMMV.

True. But, night time temps were in the upper 20's here for a few days recently. Not as cold as some places, but still cold. And I'm in a wooded area so my house doesn't get a lot of sun.

Looking at the glass door on your 1250, I'd said your wood might be a little wet or you didn't have enough splits in there to maintain a high enough burn temperature for most efficient burning. If you try >3 splits, you might get a cleaner burn and cleaner glass after the burn. My Lopi usually cruises at 550 degrees F on top middle front of the stovetop.

I noticed the glass in the picture. I've been burning since the first of October and haven't cleaned it once. But it is quite possible that some of my wood isn't perfect. And I may be guilty of turning the air down a touch more than necessary when I leave for an extended period, but I usually look at the chimney and try to make sure there is little or no visible smoke. I don't want to be "that neighbor."
As the pic shows, my thermometer is on the upper front corner of the stove. I don't know how its readings compare to units placed on stovetops, but I've reached 575 degrees once and that was the one time I thought it was getting away from me. Where my thermometer is mounted, 400-500 seems to be good and hot but still under control.

575 is no where near the getting away from me temperature. When it starts to get close to 800 and shows no signs of stopping then you better start to get worried.!!!

Absolutely. I routinely run my Freedom up in the 650-750 range. Overfire is north of 800.

FWIW, My stovetop thermometer (Condar) won't fit on the front of my Super 27, but according to my IR gun, the front runs around 50° cooler than the top. Probably close enough for government work (I know!) The top varies quite a bit anyway what with the baffles and all, I suppose.

I noticed the glass in the picture. I've been burning since the first of October and haven't cleaned it once. But it is quite possible that some of my wood isn't perfect. And I may be guilty of turning the air down a touch more than necessary when I leave for an extended period, but I usually look at the chimney and try to make sure there is little or no visible smoke. I don't want to be "that neighbor."
As the pic shows, my thermometer is on the upper front corner of the stove. I don't know how its readings compare to units placed on stovetops, but I've reached 575 degrees once and that was the one time I thought it was getting away from me. Where my thermometer is mounted, 400-500 seems to be good and hot but still under control.

Hi Blacktail, I can see why you would have the thermostat there - tough to fit it anywhere else when the 1250 is an insert and not freestanding. In any case, I've been guilty at times of trying to turn the air down too quickly on my Answer and when I do, it doesn't get hot enough and I get more residue on the glass. I've found that if I let it get to 500 degrees stove top before I begin to restrict the primary air in four steps about 5 minutes apart, the stove may hit 600 or 650, but it quickly settles in at 500 to 550 F and cruises for a long time cleaner burning than it otherwise would have been with no "smoky charred" logs at the back of the stove at the end of the burn.

Hi Blacktail, I can see why you would have the thermostat there - tough to fit it anywhere else when the 1250 is an insert and not freestanding. In any case, I've been guilty at times of trying to turn the air down too quickly on my Answer and when I do, it doesn't get hot enough and I get more residue on the glass. I've found that if I let it get to 500 degrees stove top before I begin to restrict the primary air in four steps about 5 minutes apart, the stove may hit 600 or 650, but it quickly settles in at 500 to 550 F and cruises for a long time cleaner burning than it otherwise would have been with no "smoky charred" logs at the back of the stove at the end of the burn.
Another thing that can happen when you start turning it down too much, too quickly, is a "backpuff" Especially in warmer weather. Happened to us (actually my wife) . about 3 weeks after we started burning and it scared her. Having been already reading this forum, I knew what it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.