Lopi Revere

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike594

Sep 6, 2013
East Meadow, NY
Hello all,
I have been lurking around for a couple of weeks. I just pulled the trigger on a Lopi Revere. I paid 3500 for the unit, blower, flu pipe and install. It was through a friend and he is also the installer. What do you think? Is he really a friend or did I just get an ok deal. I appreciate any answer you guys and girls can give. This is a wonderful site and you peeps are knowledgable and helpful. Thank you for your help in advance.
Mike

Welcome. Sounds ballpark correct Mike. Installations vary too much to say whether it was a great deal or not. Most important is that it is done well, safe and functions properly. Post a picture or two of the setup if you can.

Do you have a good, dry wood supply already split and stacked?

Welcome. Sounds ballpark correct Mike. Installations vary too much to say whether it was a great deal or not. Most important is that it is done well, safe and functions properly. Post a picture or two of the setup if you can.

Do you have a good, dry wood supply already split and stacked?

Thanks for the reply Begreen, I am getting wood Wednesday. He said it is a year old? Fingers crossed. I will stack in the sun until Burn time. I will keep covered also. I bought four cords, hoping to have at least one going into next year and will start collecting and cutting also for next year. He has been installing for 26 years. From what I have been reading and what he told me he will do sounds like good job. I will watch and take picks every step of the way.

As you probably know it's very late to be getting wood. Was it cut, split and stacked a year ago? Most of the time when wood sellers say it's a year old they mean it was cut a year ago, not split. Before the wood is unloaded, take several thick splits off the truck and resplit them. Check the moisture on the freshly split face of the wood. If you don't have a moisture meter, put it up against your cheek. If it's cool and damp, reject the load, especially if it is oak. Oak takes at least a couple years to dry sufficiently.

As you probably know it's very late to be getting wood. Was it cut, split and stacked a year ago? Most of the time when wood sellers say it's a year old they mean it was cut a year ago, not split. Before the wood is unloaded, take several thick splits off the truck and resplit them. Check the moisture on the freshly split face of the wood. If you don't have a moisture meter, put it up against your cheek. If it's cool and damp, reject the load, especially if it is oak. Oak takes at least a couple years to dry sufficiently.

I will go buy a moisture meter. What should be an acceptable amount of moisture to burn this winter. Thank you

20% or lower will be ok. Ask what the mix of wood is. If there is a lot of ash and it is reasonably dry then you could be ok. If it is all oak it may not be ready for a year or two.

20% or lower will be ok. Ask what the mix of wood is. If there is a lot of ash and it is reasonably dry then you could be ok. If it is all oak it may not be ready for a year or two.
Ok thank you, I ask the guy and he said it was,so if its not I will have no problem turning it away. It's going to be rough getting wood for this winter then I guess?

Yes, if you can find truly seasoned wood at this time of year consider yourself lucky.
Some other clues to tell if wood is well seasoned are looking for checking on the end grain and banging two splits together. If they go thud, it's wet inside. If you get a nice musical note, they are dry.

Mr Begreen,
What would you think of mixing envi blocks with the wood that is not seasoned for more than a year. I have read on here that one will offset the other. I know it will be expensive but this year I am screwed :(

Envi blocks will help, depending on how seasoned the wood is, but use them judiciously. If you are getting 4 cords of wood you may find some better seasoned splits in the mix. Often you can tell by weight, visual examination and banging them together. Stack those pieces separately for this season's burning and keep looking for a cord or two of dry wood that is not oak. Ask each seller if they have any seasoned ash.

Thanks for all your help, I picked up some seasoned would from one of the guys on the thread who is moving and could not take the wood. It was a little less than a half cord. I going to pick up more during the week. It's not seasoned but its free and at least a year old and not split. If its free its for me :).. I am going to buy a ton of those envi blocks anyway. I have been reading about them and think they will work out good.

Thanks for all your help, I picked up some seasoned would from one of the guys on the thread who is moving and could not take the wood. It was a little less than a half cord. I going to pick up more during the week. It's not seasoned but its free and at least a year old and not split. If its free its for me :).. I am going to buy a ton of those envi blocks anyway. I have been reading about them and think they will work out good.

You could also try buying some kiln dried firewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.